Thread: primal "icy squares" page

Mad_Fatter is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up primal "icy squares"

Primal Fuel
    not sure if many know what these are, but they're basically just blocks of fat filled with coco and sugar. Of course, being a "sad" food to the nines, the fat is often hydrogenated coconut oil (which I find especially sacrilegious)

Anyway, noting the ingredients, I mixed 2 tablespoon of coconut oil, teaspoon of coco and a teaspoon of brown sugar together and formed it into a little block and I was quite pleased. Throwing a little sugar and coco into the mix is a good idea for those of us who eat wads of coconut oil as a snack. You can also toss some nuts in to make it more authentic. Adjust your sugar to make it more "dark", or add stevia I guess. You get a nice little caffine kick and antioxidant dose too.

And yes, I *am* a lazy chef.

PEACE

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Fatter View Post
    not sure if many know what these are, but they're basically just blocks of fat filled with coco and sugar. Of course, being a "sad" food to the nines, the fat is often hydrogenated coconut oil (which I find especially sacrilegious)

Anyway, noting the ingredients, I mixed 2 tablespoon of coconut oil, teaspoon of coco and a teaspoon of brown sugar together and formed it into a little block and I was quite pleased. Throwing a little sugar and coco into the mix is a good idea for those of us who eat wads of coconut oil as a snack. You can also toss some nuts in to make it more authentic. Adjust your sugar to make it more "dark", or add stevia I guess. You get a nice little caffine kick and antioxidant dose too.

And yes, I *am* a lazy chef.

PEACE
    Mixing coconut oil and cocoa powder and putting it in the fridge is a super easy way to make a quick dessert, and adding nuts and a handful of dried berries makes it especially delicious.

I can't imagine adding any brown sugar to it, but a little bit of stevia would probably go a long way with these.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Are you talking about those little wrapped candies they usually have at the counter of convenience stores? I haven't had one of those in years but I remember I loved them! (Yes, I can imagine adding a teaspoon of brown sugar. They would definitely not taste the same without it.)

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Now that dragonmamma said that, are these supposed to be like the brown caramel-like things wrapped in clear plastic?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    it's kinda like...

gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
    gonna grab some afternoon delight.

j/k of course. the square of chocolate is kind of soft like the inside of a truffle but when you eat the piece of chocolate it's almost as if it was cold and in the fridge for a little while.
    http://canadiandelicacies.com/ice-chocolate.html
    I grok, therefore I am.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    I like adding shredded coconut too, it's something like a Mounds...or Almond Joy if you add almonds! Yum I usually do 1 tablespoon CO, 1 tablespoon cocoa, a touch of cinnamon, touch of honey, and 1 tablespoon shredded coconut. Then I put it in the freezer for 3-5 minutes (however long I can stand to wait), then enjoy!
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Can't say I've ever had those candies... but I love making "chocolate" using coconut oil and cocoa powder. I usually use a 2:1 ratio of oil:cocoa.

My favorite: 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tbsp almond flour, 1/2 tbsp shredded dried coconut, and 1 tsp or less of honey or maple syrup.

You can try it with bacon grease, too, but then you have to eat it straight out of the freezer because it's really soft - kinda like fudge. And it takes more sweetener, since you don't have the natural sweetness from the coconut oil.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Last edited by dragonmamma; 08-11-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: correcting link