Thread: Coconut Milk vs. Heavy Cream page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Coconut Milk vs. Heavy Cream

Shop Now
    I just got my PB Cookbook in the mail yesterday. While I was salivating through the pages I noticed that some (not all) of the recipes called for either coconut milk OR heavy cream (in some cases half & half too).

My wife is averse to anything that has a semblance of coconut flavor. So I got to wondering...unless part of the flavor profile -- Indian and Thai dishes for example -- is it safe to assume that one could ALWAYS substitute heavy cream in a recipe where coconut milk is called for?

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Running through options in my mind, I would say that yes you can sub hwc for coconut milk in most all recipes (except, as you indicate, for specific flavor profiles).

Question though: does your wife dislike coconut FLAVOR or the taste of coconut? I hate banana flavor (that fake crapola) but love the taste of bananas.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Question though: does your wife dislike coconut FLAVOR or the taste of coconut? I hate banana flavor (that fake crapola) but love the taste of bananas.
    Good differentiation! I hear ya' about fake banana flavor!

More correctly, she doesn't care for the taste or texture of coconut, so anything with coconut milk or shredded coconut is out.

Of course she didn't eat sashimi or wild game before she met me so maybe there's hope yet!

yearling is offline Junior Member
    Try subsituting with yoghurt too