Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have any occassions where you just don't do primal? page

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member

Do you have any occassions where you just don't do primal?

So it's that miserable, painful, depressed, exhausting time of the month for me at the minute. I have this thing that I always have to have a big bowl of porridge with loads of nice added bits like cream, peanut butter, dark chocolate chips etc.. added to it. Don't know why but like clockwork I am craving carbs like a mad thing and porridge is on my mind so I just have it. I don't have it in me to deny myself that little bit of comfort on a day like today. The rest of the month, I couldn't care less for it. What about you guys, do you have a ritualistic time or occassion where you don't even try and be primal? Like your birthday, christmas, sundays etc? Don't get me wrong I don't throw the towel in and start eating bread, sweets and chips all day or anyting, it's just that I have to eat one bowl of porridge, bit wierd I know but it makes me happy
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    You might want to consider that your porridge might make you feel better emotionally while making you feel worse physically. The tradeoff might be worth it to you, or you might want to experiment with a primal treat when you feel lousy.

I don't go off primal for calendar occasions. If the circumstances of holidays etc. allow me to maintain my WOE then happy me. However I will go off if the circumstances require it: someone has made a special meal/dessert that I really don't want to miss. Example: my stepmom made pecan waffles for a goodbye breakfast for my bro at the end of his visit. I was not going to pass up hot homemade pecan waffles with real maple syrup eaten in my brother's company. I did try to balance it with plenty of bacon, but I still felt the effects the next day; this was helpful because it reminded me to stay 100% primal whenever possible.

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    Ya I know what you mean but the wierd thing about it is I actually find porridge makes me feel better physically too, before going primal I used to use it therapeutically to ease my IBS cramps (which always flares up badly on my perios too) so I think the urge is partly due to a combination of it's ability to soothw my stomach and giving me lots of carbs which I seem to need more of during this time. I wouldnt' dream of touching anything that I know makes me feel really crap like gluten or eggs! But it is definately worth it.

I like the story about the waffles, especially the bit about bacon
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i haven't been off primal since i started. my friends and family are generally pretty accommodating. but, i don't think it's a bad idea to let loose and cheat a little bit here and there as long as:
    1. you get right back to primal the next morning/meal
    2. it's not a regular thing (i suppose once a month isn't bad, but that just opens the door to cheating more often if you ask me)
    3. it's worth it. you wouldn't go on vacation to your neighbor's house, right? don't cheat unless it's going to be something exotic

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I find lobster risotto on the menu - that's it! I'm eating it! Previous to going Primal, risotto was my signature dish. I make a terrific, complex broth and took great pleasure in getting the consistency just right. Thus, when I find a special risotto on the menu - I order it without a single qualm and savor every bite. This doesn't actually happen that often as I'm very picky about my risotto.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    In summer and for a few weeks in winter, I drink good ale (teetotaler the rest of the year). During the Christmas season (at least as of last 2009), I eat panettone. In my perception, the ale causes no issues whatsoever: in fact, I notice less inflammation in my legs...weird. The panettone may be another issue. I don't remember feeling bad, but am not sure whether I'll succumb this Christmas season.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    I eat my mother-in-law's pie when I go to the cabin, and if I see something really special on a menu, I'll try it even if it's not primal. For me, allowing myself these options makes it MUCH easier to stay primal the bulk of the time. I rebel against too much restriction, so giving myself an "out" keeps that tendency at bay.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Primal K@ is offline Member
    For the most part, I stick to a primal diet 100% through the work week. Weekends are mainly primal as well, but if I'm out with friends/family and there are delicious temptations, I won't deny myself. It's all in moderation. Two or three times per month I may indulge. Who can pass up things like creme brulee, or an amazing brownie. And my husband and I have our 'once a month' dim sum treat. It's totally worth it to me

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyna View Post
    it's that miserable, painful, depressed, exhausting time of the month
    Fix the hormones and the rest will resolve.

Neptune Krill Oil was the answer for me.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Neptu...els/22675?at=0

I only need it from ovulation till the second day of my period.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pfft! I get in my full 20% most days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast