Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Primal around your friends page

tphillips1234 Guest

Primal Fuel

I will say one problem i always have is when socializing with friends dont understand the way of life i am on which is primal because i only eat in certain places that have the food i can eat and in my area it is limited. I have had some of my best friends make fun of me or call me weird and even get mad at me. Heck i have even lost some friends. They just dont get it and the biggest thing is i used to be over 400 pounds you would think they would understand my motives for staying primal. Has anyone else ever had this problem.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

tphillips, in many ways, going primal amongst a non-primal group of friends is similar to becoming an atheist amongst a group of very religious friends. They will be oblivious to reason while mocking you or being aggressive to you.

It is worrying to read that they criticize your dietary lifestyle, instead of encouraging you in your pursuit. Becoming Primal entails, I would think, and at the very least, commitment and motivation to improve your health.

The fact that you used to be 400 pounds, are working on getting healthy, and are currently getting that feedback from your "friends" should, I think, make you reconsider their friendship.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

BigBeck89 Guest

well I don't really drink anymore (empty calories, messes with hormones, etc) this is definitively a social handicap being a college student

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I know I've lost dates over it- especially the not drinking part. Most of my long-time friends, and family just chalk it up to "Ah, that's just D. She's weird." LOL

marika Guest

My friends actually have seemed very interested in it, they enjoy seeing what I order when we are at restaurants, and they often ask me how it's going when we're just hanging out. So that's cool!

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I am still dealing with backlash from not being vegetarian anymore. I blow people's hair back when they see me taking out my pork chops, or meatloaf, or steak, or insert meat type here, from the microwave at work. I haven't really had to deal with the no grains/no processed starch, high fat aspect of it yet, because people still can't get past the fact that I'm now eating meat. I'll have to deal with that next week when I visit family though. Should be interesting.

maba is offline Senior Member

My friends want to know when I'm gonna go off the diet and start eating "normal" food. They think I'm doing it for only weight-loss!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I hear you. I have quite a few friends that will plain and simple make fun of this life style. Another aspect of going out and staying primal is selecting places you can eat at. While my friends can grab something from virtualy any fast food joint or even a street food cart, I have to be way more selective. When I do manage to persuade them to go to a place that serves something I can actually eat, it ends up being much more expensive than what they were hoping to spend so I end up being blamed for it as well.

Catalina is offline Member

I think a lot of people make fun/give you a hard time because they are afraid you are doing the right thing, and they can't face that maybe they should be doing it too.

fletchingarrows is offline Junior Member

My boyfriend continues to look askance at my plate even though I have been eating this way for almost a month now. I can't wait to win him over (hopefully I can both for his health and so I don't have to have the same "I'm not clogging my arteries by eating this steak fried in butter" conversation with him every few days).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast