Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Being Primal around your friends page 5

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Luckily the people I live with don't tend to notice what I'm eating (shared home, all cook our own stuff). However one of my good friends is on a low fat diet - eating marshmallows and microwaved weightwatchers meals. She's adamant that it worked for her before, and it's better than non-weightwatchers micro-rubbish (just). But I find it hard to smile when she brings home her latest fat free discovery (mutant yoghurts, sweets, etc).

What I'm struggling with is my own weak will plus people's assumptions. I'm at the point where I try to keep primal but can easily cave in to "just one" sweet, or bun, or sandwich. What I need is someone to *not* offer! But then when I'm with a certain person, they'll want to go out for food even if I've got stuff in. But they don't want a decent restaurant, they want subway etc.

Argh!!

I end up being really antisocial and eating my food awkwardly before we leave and get their sugar rush sorted!

I have told people that I feel much better like this, but it goes over their heads.

Elana Guest

I wonder if it's geographical to an extent. I'm in Florida and southerners seem to take serious offense to anyone refusing starches or fried foods in all their glorious forms. I grew up on the west coast though (ah, the land of farmer's markets and grass-fed beef!), and can't imagine anybody over there raising an eyebrow over my current diet.

Probably the most frustrating thing is people asking me straight out for advice because they have seen me get fitter, yet balking at what they hear. I do have a very take it or leave it attitude and always preface it with "what works for me..." Another person asked me today what I was doing to be getting in shape and, instead of going through the whole spiel, this time I just said "walking more and eating less" and left it at that. It is seriously a daily thing in my work environment, as I work with roughly 50 people in a clinic setting.

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

Well, seeing as I just started reading this stuff recently, I haven't had to think about it that much, and haven't eaten out with my friends that much...

The few times I did eat out with friends, I didn't really watch what I eat, because it was only one or two weekend meals, and most of the food I ate I was cooking/bringing to work. I haven't fully committed myself to Primal, I'm still just... dabbling...

But no one said anything yesterday when we went to Chipotle and I had chicken w/fajita veggies in a bowl, no rice or beans or tortilla...

I don't know how my friends would react if I committed fully and started being strict about it (though I am not sure I ever will go all the way). One of my friends introduced me to MDA, so she would never say anything, but others, I dunno.

What's hard for me right now, even in my "dabbling" is my parents... for example, breakfast is something easy to change, and I've basically changed that all the way, no cereal or bagels or whatever, only oatmeal rarely... most of the time I've been doing eggs. 3 eggs, scrambled usually, sometimes different... but my parents think I am killing myself doing this and need to cut back on the eggs.

And both my parents work in medical fields, my dad being a physician, which of course makes it hard to argue. And my dad especially is one who doesn't like to argue... of course, his family having a history of high blood pressure and his brother passing away because of it also is a big factor. So they see the eggs as something that will kill me if I eat them so frequently...

It doesn't help that I'm the only one in my family who is kind of flabby, so my words regarding eating are obviously taken less seriously. They think all I think about is food food food, and yeah, maybe I think too much about food, but at least now I'm trying to be healthy...

Hmmm...

maba is offline Senior Member

A friend of mine, who I was seeing after 2 months, saw me today and went, "Geez, I didn't notice, but you've lost a lot of weight!" And I said, "Yes, mostly through diet - I've been low-carbing." I was hoping he'd ask me more about the diet but he didn't and immediately changed the topic. But I told him to read GCBC. So, my scale has been lying indeed.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Shazkar, many of us made the mistake of talking too much about primal at the beginning and therefore alienating our family/friends with the topic.

You are in the ideal position to suggest your parents to take a look at Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes:

http://tinyurl.com/2bhtou

It is backed up by medical research and will probably make them reconsider current approach to nutrition.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

Thanks Serial, I will actually probably buy that book for myself and give it a read too, because I'm still not 100% convinced myself.

I never actually mentioned the idea of Primal to my parents (and I am usually only home for a few months a year), but I came home and told my parents "I'm trying not to eat starches and grains anymore" when we went grocery shopping, and then have been eating a lot of eggs and meat, which my parents have been commenting on...

We'll see how it goes. I spend most of my time not living with them so it's not a huge deal, but it can get annoying, and also I don't want them to worry about me, because that's not fair to them either.

grok-star Guest

I just don't really talk about it. I don't say I'm dieting or anything. It's just the way I eat.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Shazkar, I think it's great that you are at least giving Primal the benefit of the doubt. You are already ahead of the vast majority of people.

There's a lot of info in the site so you have a lot to read. But I guarantee that if you keep an open mind, the more you read the more you'll find going Primal makes total sense.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the book as well. Good luck.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345