Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Primal around your friends page 2

musajen is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

One of my friends tries to be supportive (eats out at places friendly to my pursuit) but she insists that my body NEEDS carbs to function properly because she once knew someone who did a low-carb diet and that person felt like crap on it. Another friend just looks at me weird and shakes her head.

I kind of wonder if they think I'm judging them or if being around me on my primal "diet" (they still think it's temporary) makes them self-conscious about what they eat. Granted, I'd really like to comment on their low-fat salad dressings and HFCS laden yogurt but I shut my hole.

Hopefully in a year or two they'll come around to my way of thinking. In the meantime, glad to know I'm not alone.

tphillips1234 Guest

hey guys thank you all for the comments and discussion I am glad im not alone. I read each discussion on my post i know what your going through as well feel free to keep venting on my post. I think we all need a reminder and support from fellow primal eaters that we are not alone. Thank you all and a big thanks to Mark Sisson.

PattySt Guest

OMG...Real friend don't ditch you just because you are trying to eat healthy!

I usually don't say anything unless they ask. Then I tell them the basics. If they are ready to change their habits they will be all over you with questions and be reay to listen. If not it doesn't matter what you say!

Our friends have seen the dramatic change in my husband (long story involving hospital and many doctors) so they are generally supportive, although not neccesarily ready to jump on board. And of course my husband will tell them to F right off if they have a problem

In the end it's your life, your health and your decisions to make. Good luck!!

Peace

maba is offline Senior Member

I had a really long talk with some of my colleagues today. They always snicker at me when I refuse the junk they offer. But today I sent them all the fructose video. And for some reason they seemed interested. I talked to them about high sugar-consumption, disease-prevention, processed foods, organic foods, vegetable oils etc. At the end of my discussion, one of them announced she's going to switch to olive oil from vegetable oil. I declare my spiel a success. Baby steps.

Elana Guest

The worst times for me are during lunch meetings or other carb-laden festivities at work. My administrators always use food to praise their employees. Even though we work in a hospital, they often throw ice cream parties and order pizzas, BBQ takeout, or sub sandwiches with processed meat-like products for our working meetings. I once asked for a healthier alternative and laughed when I saw their solution: chicken marsala with mashed potatoes!

I don't mind waiting patiently until I can retreat to my own space to eat primal, but the comments drive me crazy. No less than ten people exlaim "why aren't you eating?!!" I've even had some busy-bodies offer comments that I shouldn't be starving myself because I am beautiful the way I am; they are so certain that vanity is my only motivation for not gorging on HFCS and mystery meat!

I think Catalina is right; being fit and eating healthfully is offensive to those who opt for conventional foods. I've seen people roll their eyes when I've tried to explain why I'm not partaking in the meal. They think I'm on a high horse and judging them. Now, I find it easier just to lie. It's so much easier to simply say "I have a food allergy", "I'm lactose intolerant", or "I can't eat gluten." Nobody argues with those explanations.

GeriMorgan Guest

This is utterly insane. I live a pretty sheltered existence (most of the people I know are low-carbers), and I find it ridiculous how shallow people can be about food. Seriously, since when is it any of your business what kind of food someone chooses to eat? Unless they're somehow hurting themselves with their diet, you have no right to try and change it. It's absolutely disgusting how badly one can be treated just for eating a diet of [em]real food[/em].

My advice: Ditch your friends. They're obviously too shallow to live in the bundle of diversity that we call "society". Alternatively, start making fun of them for their food choices and see if they get the hint.

maba is offline Senior Member

Elana, I hear ya.

"they are so certain that vanity is my only motivation for not gorging on HFCS and mystery meat! "

This totally gets my goat! I hear people telling me that all the time it's crazy. I'm thinking of using food intolerance as an excuse but being Indian and having eaten rice all my life, it would come across a blatant lie. But the truth is, I AM intolerant. This past weekend, just before the challenge started, I decided to partake of some Indian comfort food and my goodness, I felt SOOO bloated.

Another thing that I fail to understand is people don't have the slightest hesitation when they pay hundreds of bucks for the latest gadget but they wonder why I pay $4 for eggs - they think I'm a food snob! I'm not judging their decision to spend money on gadgets but at the same time, please don't judge me!

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

I just say I don't eat wheat because it makes my joints hurt. Which is true...it does.

Elana Guest

maba, you could always say that you "developed" an intolerance, which would still be true! Your body is no longer conditioned to eating that stuff, so there is no lie in saying that.

I used to feel like I wanted to share every good thing I ever learned with the world. Now I'm just burnt out on cheerleading for people who don't even feel a desire to change their lives for the better. This is natural selection, as far as I'm concerned. We're essentially evolving through deconstruction of conventional practice

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Most people who look at me wierd are fat... so whatever they are doing isn't working

I merely point out that if they are happy with the resutls their currnet nutrition and excersise plan is giving them, then by all means stick to it. lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast