Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen veggies page

invasiveexotics is offline Junior Member

Frozen veggies

What do you PBers think of frozen veggies? I have a really hard time using up fresh veggies before they go bad (tried a CSA once, failed miserably at actually eating the food). I know fresh, local stuff would be the best option, but frozen veggies are alright, right?
    Starting Weight: 140, primal as of 8/13/2010
    Goal Weight: 120 by 12/31/2010

Underground Primal: Going primal. Quietly.

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Hi - apparently they are snap frozen and could retain the vitamins better than veggies that have been transported or lying around the store for a week. Even if that is not true, better to supplement your meals with frozen veg than be tempted to add a grain. I keep them handy for that reason.

It IS very difficult if you live alone to have a variety of veg and eat them before they go off. I wonder if that is why I use to not bother and have cheese on toast instead :-)

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I eat frozen veggies all the time. Nutritionally there is very little difference between fresh and frozen. It's so easy for me to pop a handful of frozen broccoli and cauliflower in the microwave and heat them quickly. It goes with every meal.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    In the freezer right now I have frozen broccoli, cauliflower and green zucchini mixed with yellow squash, in addition to strawberries, raspberries, cherries and blueberries that are frozen from fresh. They're great to have on hand for quick lunches or dinners, or using the berries in a smoothie.

Primal K@ is offline Member
    I agree. Frozen vegetables are great to have around. I always have my freezer stocked with frozen broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and even berries for quick yogurt smoothies. They last a long time, but not forever. Watch for freezer burn.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Right now I'm taking advantage of the wonderful offerings at the farmer's market, however, the growing season here is pretty short so I use frozen after that. I agree that they are fresher than many of the produce in grocery stores.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm a big fan of frozen veggies. this time of year i'm all about fresh, local produce...but that's not an option come January in New England. nutritionally they are the same, but i don't think they are as good for cooking. it's difficult thawing and cooking frozen veggies so that they retain their crispness

mizski is offline Senior Member

NH Locavore info

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    this time of year i'm all about fresh, local produce...but that's not an option come January in New England.
    Hi Rob, not sure if you've looked at this website for local foods but it's a good resource for locavores. This map shows the different organic farms by name and location. My brother is in Plymouth, NH and has found some great places for both meats and produce; I use the Cape Cod version for places in my area and even found a farm one mile up the street from me.

Some of the farms also do hydroponic gardening which means fresh lettuces and herbs in the winter. Yay on that.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    frozen veggies are a staple around my house. There are very few vegetables that I get fresh, usually ones that keep longer than average. Fruit is always fresh unless its blueberries. its just cheaper to buy them frozen.
    Calm the f**k down.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    In the freezer right now I have frozen broccoli, cauliflower and green zucchini mixed with yellow squash, in addition to strawberries, raspberries, cherries and blueberries that are frozen from fresh. They're great to have on hand for quick lunches or dinners, or using the berries in a smoothie.
    me too! add to that lots of turnip green and collards!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast