Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salad Dressing page

Popa Murph Guest

Shop Now

I love salad with or without any type of dressing but i know a lot of people out there wouldn't even think about eating a salad without some sort of dressing on it.

I'm just curious as to what everyone is eating on their salads?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

What works for me are blue cheese crumbles. I almost think I'm having dressing.

I tried coconut milk by itself, pretty good, a LOT of calories. Another problem of sorts is that the cold lettuce congeals the fat right outta the milk. I tried vinegar alone, well,.......

As much as I slam Hole Foods, I should praise when appropriate. They have 8 oz blue cheese crumbles, their house brand for $4. It's decent cheese and a lot better than a lot I've had for more money. Recently they were on sale for $2.50 and I took the last three on the shelf.

Helen Guest

I quite often make a pesto dressing.

1/4 cup olive oil

5 cloves garlic

1/2 cup pine nuts

1 bunch fresh basil

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)

Sometimes I also add fresh mint leaves.

Blend in a blender thoroughly.

I add 1 tablespoon to my salad and thin it out more with additional olive oil.

marika Guest

My favorite is some melted lard and a squeeze of lime juice. MMMM!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

A super easy one is 2 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinegar, a squeeze of dijon mustard, and pepper/parsley/oregano/other spices to taste. Shake up and you have a fantastic dressing! Also works great subbing in walnut oil or rice vinegar for either of those ingredients. Lemon juice is a nice addition as well. It doesn't have to be complicated at all!

That said, I also don't mind using bacon or chicken fat from the meat I'm including in the salad. Add some pepper and I'm good

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

marika Guest

MMMmmm bacon fat and pepper! Sounds awesome!

grandma is offline Member

just evoo and vinegar for me most of the time. But I like to throw other stuff in. Hard to go wrong. Spices, nut butters all work

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

stephanie Guest

Olive oil, a little dijon mustard, and lemon with some fresh herbs, has always worked for me. It's the dressing my mother made my whole life. She was from France and that's how they dressed a simple green salad, and still do!

Sometimes I like to put fruit in my salad like blackberries or grilled peaches or apricots. In that case, I use walnut or hazelnut oil. The nuttiness goes really well with fruit. And I mix it with a little sherry vinegar. The acidity of the vinegar blends with the sweetness quite well too.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I second Hanna. Good EVOO + a good balsamic vinegar + good Dijon mustard makes a delicious and very easy to make salad dressing.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Popa Murph Guest

Lot's of great ideas. I enjoy some macadamia nut oil on my salad every once in a while. I was looking at the ingredients of most of the dressings at Kroger last night and I only found one that the main ingredient wasn't pressed soybean oil. Even the ones that claimed to be olive oil on the labels were full of soybean oil. That's just crazy to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast