Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pho ? page 2

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal K@ View Post
    I've had Pho with tripe substituted for the noodles. It's not bad, but tripe is an acquired taste (or more so and acquired texture). Can't get more primal than that!
    Very true. But you could come close with tendon (also popular in pho).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elwyne View Post
    I found kelp noodles at a local natural grocery store. Those would be awesome in pho.
    Yes they are. They also make a killer egg foo yung.

Jenfish is offline Junior Member
    I buy a bag of shredded broccli stems (they market it for brocoli slaw) for my chicken soup. My girls still call it chicken noodle becaust the broccoli strands get translucent and soft. could work for Pho.

Jenfish is offline Junior Member
    Oh wow... I forgot I had done a search, didn't realize how old this was. Oops

phoenixjen is offline Junior Member
    I've made pho with kelp noodles, and it's awesome. One of the benefits of using kelp noodles, is that the leftover noodles stay in tact for the next day, unlike rice noodles which fall apart.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenfish View Post
    I buy a bag of shredded broccli stems (they market it for brocoli slaw) for my chicken soup. My girls still call it chicken noodle becaust the broccoli strands get translucent and soft. could work for Pho.
    Broccoli slaw is very handy! Turns into stir fry into a "noodle" dish. Never tried homemade pho though--I have it infrequently enough I don't mind a dose of gluten-free/sugar-free carb in the standard recipe.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    I make it with both kelp, and sweet potato noodles(found at asian markets).
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

amyb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    I don't even bother with the rice noodles when I go to Pho restaurants here in CO...I just ask for no noodles and add veggies...the don't mind at all!!!

I was searching on Pho to find out if lots of primal/paleo folks eat it...Pho is huge here in Colorado and I realized the broth is bone broth that the paleo community really advocates for.

Love the PHO!

amyb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    I don't even bother with the rice noodles when I go to Pho restaurants here in CO...I just ask for no noodles and add veggies...the don't mind at all!!!

I was searching on Pho to find out if lots of primal/paleo folks eat it...Pho is huge here in Colorado and I realized the broth is bone broth that the paleo community really advocates for.

Love the PHO!

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    Konnyakku noodles are made with yam. I believe shirataki contain soy and yam flour, so maybe not so primal?
    In our local Asian grocery there are two kinds of shiritaki noodles. One type is made from tofu/soy, which I avoid. The other kind is labeled "yam" noodles, but is actually made from the root of the konjac plant (not related to the common yam.) The konjac contains glucomannan, which is a beneficial prebiotic (food for gut bacteria.) I buy the "yam" shiritaki noodles, which are packed in water and found in a refrigerated case. You boil them for 3 minutes before use to reduce their slight fishy odor. Not sure how neccessary that is, but it's easy enough. They have almost no calories so are low-glycemic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast