Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: losing too much weight? page

shannon is offline Senior Member

losing too much weight?

Primal Fuel
    hi guys, so i was @ the store today and weighed myself for the hell of it. 98lbs. i'm 5ft3. i weighed myself about 2.5 weeks ago and was 110lbs. i'm eating and feel great. i'd like to 'tone' but find that my weight drops when i attempt to work out. my baby gut has also disappeared, so i won't complain about that. i just want to make sure that i'm @ an appropriate weight for my height and yada yada ya...
    my family has never had weight issues either. thanks
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Um is it a scale you usually use? If not, it might not be calibrated properly. 12lbs in 2.5 weeks seems pretty extreme for your height. I remember weighing myself on a scale from a store and it was 10lbs more than my proper weight.
    Calm the f**k down.

i just use the scale in the stores. we don't own one. don't really need it, ya know? i don't look any different other than my gut. feeling great so i'm not too worried:-) i've been sweating my ass off, but it's impossible to lose that much weight in water right? huh.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Well, 98lbs is a little low, but still healthy.
    It is possible to lose a ton of weight due to water, but if you aren't dehydrated its unlikely that.
    I would probably check with a different scale. Like I said, it might not be calibrated properly and be off up to 10lbs either way.
    Calm the f**k down.

i'll try that! i was 97lbs when i was vegan(dumb dumb) but i didn't feel full of energy like i do now.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    As a 5'2" person, I don't know how anyone close to my height at an appropriate weight could lose 12 pounds in 2.5 weeks! I think the scale was off either when you weighed the first time or this time. Probably this time, since 98lb is really light for someone who's 5'3". You would have been dealing with some serious bloating to lose that much water weight!

Anywho, if you're happy with your body, eating well, exercising (but not excessively), and fitting into your clothes well then don't worry about it! Maybe wait until you have a doctor's appointment or something like that to weigh yourself, where the scale will be more accurate.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    i just use the scale in the stores. we don't own one. don't really need it, ya know? i don't look any different other than my gut. feeling great so i'm not too worried:-) i've been sweating my ass off, but it's impossible to lose that much weight in water right? huh.
    It is not at all impossible to lose that much weight in water if you had been retaining extra water, Shannon. And sometimes water is retained around the middle. I've known folks who gained and/or lost 30+lbs of water in a surprisingly short period of time. I'm not saying that water retention and then loss of the retained water is what you experienced, but it is definitely possible.

There can be various things that can cause edema, ascites, and retention of water. One is semi-starvation and another, surprisingly, is refeeding with adequate nutrition after semi-starvation. But if the water retention is due to refeeding after semi-starvation, it will subside in time and a lot of fluid will be lost as adequate nutrition continues.

I sometimes use an Omron full body composition monitor with scale to help determine what is happening with my body composition. These are about $60 at Amazon. They can help a person determine what type of tissue or fluid is really being lost as pounds go down. If it is fluid being lost, the percentage of body fat in the monitor reading will actually go up as the fluid is lost and the weight goes down.

The monitor is also helpful for folks who want to lose excess weight, because they will sometimes plateau and believe that they are making no progress, but the monitor may show that while they are not losing pounds, they are losing fat and gaining muscle, which is always desireable.

yeah, i was definitely retaining some water around the middle. i've been eating plenty of cultured foods and think they're helping the bloat go away also. i don't look emaciated so that is a +. im a smaller framed girl who has always been petite.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I disagree with other posters that 98 is too light for 5'3''. That puts you at a BMI of about 17, which is perfectly healthy. I know that BMI is not a perfect indicator, but I don't think that your weight is unhealthy.

The fact that you have lost 12lbs in a few weeks does seem like a lot, but the combination of inexact scales, wearing clothing and water retention could definitely account for it.

It sounds like you are doing well, but most importantly you are FEELING GOOD.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    My wife was 100 pounds at 5'4" when I met her 20 years ago. The doctor at that time warned her to not lose too much weight since she was on the lower end, but that she was healthy. So, 98 at 5'3" should be ok.

The risk you take being on the low end is that if you got sick, such as a very bad flu bug, or some other kind of illness that hung around for a few weeks, it could drive your weight down into dangerous territory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast