Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth Control and Weight Management page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Birth Control and Weight Management

Shop Now
    Is it true that birth control will not aid your cause in losing those 5-10 lbs? I'm contemplating going on bc to help alleviate the monthly symptoms but wanted to hear from those that have had any experience with this.

True?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Umm... I know many on these boards do not like BC because it jacks with your hormones. I am on it myself and having a devil of a time getting my abdominal fat down. However, because of other factors involved, I can't entirely be sure it's just the BC. YMMV.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I've heard birth control can keep a bit of extra weight on you. On the other hand, some gals really do seem to need the hormonal regulation. I'd say you have to balance what hurts you more: symptoms of being on BC, or the symptoms of being off BC.

You can also talk to your doctor about the different types of BC out there -- perhaps a lower hormone load like the "mini pill" would still do the trick.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    It really depends on the individual, and with what type of BC you use (each one reacts differently on different people). I know that I tended to gain 10 or so pounds, mostly water weight while on the pill. I also gained about that much immediately after I became pregnant (both times). Like seriously... within 2 days of becoming pregnant I weighed 10 pounds more. But that was just me.

Just keep in mind it might take a little adjustment here and there to get one that works.

Interestingly, there was a study somewhere that found that women on hormonal birth control put on muscle at a much slower rate than those that were not. I'm too lazy to find the actual study, but here's a little Science News blurb that describes the study and the theories the researchers came to: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...training_gains

What kind of symptoms are you having? I know that a lot of the ladies on here have noticed a severe change and decrease in their symptoms after going PB for a while and evening out their hormonal levels. I ask because it's possible that eating/exercising differently may help. There are also some herbal things you can do that will assist... like krill oil... that won't affect your hormones as much.

Just some thoughts!
    Last edited by Minxxa; 08-10-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    A lot of women have found that the Pill simply masks their symptoms, rather than treating the underlying hormonal imbalances. There is some great research going on out there to treat the root causes, and of course, I've heard a lot of people get great relief as they get off of SAD eating and onto real food, esp. without so many grains & sugars. B vitamins often play a big part in problems of the reproductive cycle.

No condemnation of all modern medicine by any means, but I do tire of doctors who want to throw drugs at every problem without getting to the bottom of what's going on.

Here's hoping you find the solutions that work best for you!!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Thanks all for your responses!

I have been off the SAD for over a year now and have definitely seen a vast improvement in terms of abdominal cramping and back aches. However, I still have severe bloating (and I mean severe) and the mood swings which drives me batty. I've been on the pill once before and after being on it for only 3 weeks I decided it wasn't for me, at least the brand I was using at the time, because I became depressed.

Currently, I feel OK. I'm trying to be more proactive in taking more fish oil, eating more sweet potatoes, taking herbal remedies, etc around the ovulation period to help alleviate the symptoms naturally (for mood and bloating). I recently saw my doctor and she suggested I try going on another brand of BC which made me want to get other opinions. While I DO want to alleviate the symptoms of the monthly cycle I DO NOT want to unnecessarily gain weight or not be able to lose these last pesky pounds. I guess I need to determine which option's pros outweighs the cons. Hmmm... still confused but it helps to hear from others.

I'm not really familiar with what causes bloating for all people, but for me, it happens when I have over a certain level of carbs from grains, fruits, or starchy veggies in a day, usually about 40gm, I think. I don't know how it works in combination with hormonal cycles b/c I've been in lactational amenorrhea for most of 12 years. Mooooo.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a fan of synthetic BC because it tends to promote estrogen dominance (hence the weight thing) and does raise the risk of certain cancers, including breast cancer: http://www.preventcancer.com/patient...avoid/pill.htm

Ultimately, you want to deal with the underlying causes, which, for your symptoms, is likely your liver. I say this based upon a knowledge of and training in Chinese medicine. Emotional symptoms are classic "liver qi stagnation". A lot of us ladies suppress a whole lot of anger and frustration and this does a number on our liver and it "stagnates".

There is a classic Chinese herbal formula that you can take starting 1-2 weeks before your period called "Xian Yao Wan". Planetary Formulas makes a version:
    http://www.iherb.com/Planetary-Herba...lets/1517?at=0

For bloating, fresh parsley tea can be tremendously effective for water retention bloating and B6 may help as well.

If your cycle needs regulating, Femaprin vitex (which has 32 clinical studies to support it) is really helpful (it helped me normalize the length of my cycle, which had gotten reaaaaally long after going Primal!)
    http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Fe...ules/1945?at=0

CJ4400 is offline Member
    I guess on another note- what do primal women do for 'birth control' in and of itself? I'm assuming not all grokettes can NOT be on BC...??

Ecological breastfeeding. I've been contemplating starting a thread. There is no more primal BC than this.

NFP until first child, and ecological bf'ing (which is not the same as cultural or even exclusive bf'ing) thereafter. Remember, Grokette would have had 5+ children (usually not the 10-Duggar19 people think of)... so far my five have all been spaced 2.5-3.5 years apart, purely by ecobf.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast