Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth Control and Weight Management page 3

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I thought copper IUD's do release some hormones? I will do some more research. I've just heard some awful stories about IUD's so it wasn't really an option.
    Copper IUD's do not release hormones. You are thinking of the Mirena plastic IUD which releases topical amounts of Progestin over a period of 5 years. I currently use Mirena and nasty periods (and all the accompanying symptoms) are blessedly absent, and I had some nasty periods! I recently opted for another 5-year Mirena over sterilization because I like its side effects so much.

Planned Parenthood has terrific information on both IUD's (and all BC in general).

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Just did some research on IUDs and more on birth control and the fact that we have to do this to our bodies is really starting to frustrate me! I know this is just the way life has evolved and BC (hormonal or non-hormonal) are "normal" in this day and age but as a newbie reading into the facts of "insertion of IUD" and "hormones in the blood stream" just sounds so crazy. *SIGH* Can't wait until men have their own birth control pill. =D

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitana View Post
    Copper IUD's do not release hormones. You are thinking of the Mirena plastic IUD which releases topical amounts of Progestin over a period of 5 years. I currently use Mirena and nasty periods (and all the accompanying symptoms) are blessedly absent, and I had some nasty periods! I recently opted for another 5-year Mirena over sterilization because I like its side effects so much.

Planned Parenthood has terrific information on both IUD's (and all BC in general).
    Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I thought IUD's are mostly for women who have had a child at least once to allow for a more comfortable fitting? Thanks for the info! Will check out PP for more info.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I think about 50% of women who start the pill quit b/c of the side effects. Others don't find them bad enough to quit, and a few don't have negative side effects.

Traditional IUDs don't use hormones b/c they work by causing an inflammatory response in the uterus. After years of study, scientists still don't know exactly why that works. They suspect that it damages sperm & possibly ova enough to prevent fertilization, and makes the uterine lining inhospitable to implantation of a fertilized zygote.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-12-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I thought IUD's are mostly for women who have had a child at least once to allow for a more comfortable fitting? Thanks for the info! Will check out PP for more info.
    I have not had a child, and my doc was fine with inserting one. It may be more painful since the cervix has never been fully dilated, but it's certainly not impossible. I found the discomfort (mainly cramping) to be intense, but quick and the results have more than made up for it.

The IUD does not work this well for everyone, but I'd done my research, and based on my past history (hormonal BC and I do not get along) and my criteria for birth control - it was the IUD or sterilization. I decided that sterilization ruled out the IUD, but the IUD did not rule out sterilization, so that's what I started with. If you don't like it - it's very quick to pull it out. However the cost commitment is not small (although over 5 years it's cheaper than most pills, but if you don't like it after 6 months - that's a lot). Fortunately my insurance covers it.

Jenn is offline Senior Member
    Do the hormones in the pill cause lower body fat to accumulate? My weight is fine but definitely have some stubborn fat in my thighs, wondering if this could relate to the pill, been on it for about 4 years and never noticed a problem before then.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Do the hormones in the pill cause lower body fat to accumulate? My weight is fine but definitely have some stubborn fat in my thighs, wondering if this could relate to the pill, been on it for about 4 years and never noticed a problem before then.
    I think it's hard to say because it IS so dependent on what kind of pill with each individual person! But basically the purpose of the pill is to keep you from ovulating, by making your body think it's pregnant. So there are bound to be some side effects congruent with those one would experience if pregnant. I do believe that the pill itself has come a LONG way, in that there are many different kinds, low-dose, cyclical, etc... and they're not nearly as hormonally wacko as they used to be 25 years ago (when I first got on them, EEK!) I know for me, it caused a weight gain (in water), but so did being pregnant. I gained 7-8 pounds in water two days after i was pregnant that never went away until after the kidlets were born. So maybe, for you, it's adding a bit more padding to your thighs (which is another thing pregnancy hormones can do to give you more stability to carry that baby!). But really, I think the only way you'd know is if you stopped and waited for a while to see if it improved without the pill. So it may be a mute point!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyq View Post
    MamaGrok, i'd love to see a thread about ecological breastfeeding. my daughter is just over 3 and still breastfeeding but i haven't read too much about the effectiveness of it as a BC method past 6 months.
    I went to start and got nervous about starting a new thread! :blush:
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ4400 View Post
    Is it true that birth control will not aid your cause in losing those 5-10 lbs? I'm contemplating going on bc to help alleviate the monthly symptoms but wanted to hear from those that have had any experience with this.

True?
    PMS is highly fixable with nuritional intervention, usually specific EFAs (neptune krill oil is amazing...see my links below) and sufficient magnesium.

Oh and Vitamin D.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    PMS is highly fixable with nuritional intervention, usually specific EFAs (neptune krill oil is amazing...see my links below) and sufficient magnesium.

Oh and Vitamin D.

K
    Thanks K What is the difference between Krill Oil and Fish Oil? I'm very good about taking my fish oil. And I agree with you...that PMS can be dealt with attentive focus. I wonder if it's the same with PMDD? That is just out of curiosity

If you don't mind me asking...do you use the pill as a method of birth control? It seems like the most popular form of BC is the pill with the IUD coming in second. Probably from convenience and comfort. Just curious! I figure I will need to figure this out anyway.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast