Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depressed page

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Depressed

Shop Now
    I've been Type 1 diabetic for 23 years. My blood sugars are very good. I have the occasional high or low, it isn't possible to have normal blood sugars all of the time when you're Type 1. But anyway I was at the optician today getting my eyes checked out, and she said that she thinks the background retinopathy has returned. I had bad retinopathy a few years ago which finally went away with laser treatment. I have to go to the eye hospital tomorrow to have them examined further.

I am so depressed about this. I never imagined it would come back again because I'm so good with my diet and my sugars are very good. She did stress that it isn't something that needs immediate attention, but that the blood vessels are there. Seems like nothing I do stops the complications from this awful disease. I already have extensive scarring on my right eye from the laser therapy, so I have no idea how it could cope with any more.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Well, that really sucks! Hang in there and I hope that it goes well for you. It sounds like you're doing all the right things.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    {{{Hug}}}
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Selah is offline Senior Member
    You are in my prayers. Maybe tomorrow will be encouraging and someone at the hospital will be able to shed some light on what to do next. Meanwhile, try not to get overly stressed with the thoughts......you know what that can lead too already!
    Be sure to let us know whats up.

Thanks for the support, guys. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. *hugs*
    Fruit and starch free.

Does anyone know if retinopathy would be made worse by Vitamin D deficiency?
    Fruit and starch free.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Poor chica. *hug* I hope it all works out.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    It seems to be vitamin A that's important for vision. Eyes and the tissue behind them are high in A, which is presumably why many tribal peoples eat animal or fish eyes.

Too much A and not enough D can be a problem (which is why Professor Cordain has a downer on cod liver oil). But conversely, it seems too much D and not enough A is also problematic. Presumably, excessive D (in the absence of adequate A) might not be good for one's eyes. The right amount of the two together is a good thing and may be specifically helpful for diabetes, but it's all very new.

Is this of any interest?

A recent study published in the Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics reveals PycnogenolŪ (pic-noj-en-all), an antioxidant plant extract from the bark of the French maritime pine tree, can improve microcirculation, retinal edema and visual acuity in the early stages of diabetic retinopathy.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-ssp113009.php
    Last edited by Lewis; 08-10-2010 at 11:16 AM.

batty is offline Senior Member
    oh god, i'm sorry we'll be pulling for you and i'll keep you in my thoughts. it *will* work out, it always does.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It seems to be vitamin A that's important for vision. Eyes and the tissue behind them are high in A, which is presumably why many tribal peoples eat animal or fish eyes.

Too much A and not enough D can be a problem (which is why Professor Cordain has a downer on cod liver oil). But conversely, it seems too much D and not enough A is also problematic. Presumably, excessive D (in the absence of adequate A) might not be good for one's eyes. The right amount of the two together is a good thing and may be specifically helpful for diabetes, but it's all very new.
    Thanks Lewis, I have actually been taking Vitamin D3 supplements recently because I'm sure I'm deficient in it. I've been taking about 8,000 IU a day. Do you know how much Vitamin A I should be taking along with this?

Thanks so much for the support guys.
    Fruit and starch free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast