Thread: Introduction and Request for Advice page

georgiaguy is offline Junior Member

Question Introduction and Request for Advice

Hello All,

I have become very interested in Paleo eating/living for a few weeks. I have had digestive problems my whole life (constipation, IBS) and this year I was diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia. I am only 28 and not overweight, but I know that the "traditional" western diet has wreaked havoc on my body.

I tried Mark Robillard's low carb diet for gerd for a few weeks with no success, but then again I was taking fiber supplements to help with the other digestive problems. This has been a huge wake up call for me and I'm willing to make a total lifestyle change. I just don't know how to start.

I'm addicted to carbs, especially now since a lot of other things set off my GERD. I have anxiety issues and eat when I'm nervous (I have no idea how I'm not fat to be honest). Has anyone out there gone through something like this? And if so, has going paleo helped? Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I don't have similar issues to you, however, about anxiety with this way of eating..... When I first looked at primal/paleo type diets, I was quite overwhelmed with how restrictive they appeared. Reading here on the forums, on other people's blogs, and a variety of books, I was getting very conflicting info as to what my diet priorities should be. So I wrote them down and posted them on my fridge. They're still there. I had (have) 5 rules, the first two being: No grains, especially wheat; and Sugar is bad. Your rules can be whatever your priorities are and what you feel that you can sustain.

Initially looking at my list, I felt like I had some very solid ground rules for what I couldn't eat. I saw it as my restrictions. But now, about 4 months later? My list is the easiest thing to keep in compliance with- in fact, I have moved beyond my basic rules. As an example, my 'no grains' has turned into no vegetable oils and no corn products. "Sugar is bad" means that I eat dark choccy maybe once or twice a week versus the nightly square or two I had when I first started this WOE.

Bottom line is that you start your new WOE with ground rules you know you can accomplish. Get the 80% down, and becoming more mindful of your food gets easier.
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 08-10-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

PSGrokette is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My biggest issue has been compulsive eating and extreme cravings, major carb addiction. Once I eliminated the carbs and the sugar the cravings went away as well as 99% of the compulsive feelings. I have low carbed off and on over the years and also been on several different food plans, raw, vegetarian, weight watchers, etc. I could maintain these diets for a few months at most, but always fell off the wagon. I feel much more in control about eating now. The exercise plan has taken SO much pressure off of me, it has been very liberating. I finally feel that I have a plan in place that works for me on all levels. I'm very new to this, but I'm IN! Hope this was helpful to you.