Thread: Whole Fish page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Question Whole Fish

Primal Fuel
    I got a box of wild caught yellowfish at the asian market...

they are like 4 inch whole fishes defrosting in my fridge as we speak.

how do i cook a whole mini fish? steam it? i have no idea. i am more than willing to eat the skin, eyes, bones and stuff i just dont know how to make it edible! and what should i do with the fins and tail?

disregard... i found a recipe haha these are yellow croakers....seems i have to descale them and trim them up!! here is the recipe if anyone else finds whole fish at the asian market fr $1.99 for an entire box like me! it was their grand opening

2 whole yellow croaker, scaled and cleaned
    1/4C Coarse salt
    Whole bunch of frozen fruit and vegetable peels, such as orange, lemon, lime, onion, celery, ginger, etc
    1/4C water
    Oil spray

Korean soy sauce for dipping, optional

1 Remove all the scales on the fish including body, around head, behind fins.

Wash them well. Trim off all the fins and sprinkle salt inside and outside of fishes.

Place on the plate and cover with plastic wrap.

2 When ready, preheat your oven on broil setting. The rack should be about 3 inch from the heat.

Wash the fish again to remove excess salt. Set aside.

3 Line a jellyroll pan with foil and spread the frozen fruit and vegetable peels all around. Spray a broil rack or mesh with oil spray and place on top of the peels.

4 Give a few slits on both side of fish with a knife and place the fish on top of the pan.

Place the pan in the hot oven with broil setting. Broil for 8-10 minutes each sides. Carefully flip in between.

Serve with Korean soy sauce if you wish. Dip bite size fish just a little bit in the sauce.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Generally with any whole fish (I don't know this kind) my favorite way is very simple - just get a casserole pan and either grease it w/ cocnut oil or use tin foil, wash the fish and pat them dry, cover them with oil / salt / pepper (not too much oil), maybe stick some lemon slices in the body cavity. Stick close under the preheated broiler till the skin starts to brown (longer for bigger fish of course), turn once, repeat and serve. Lots of good meat around the head and you can test your caveman-ocity by eating the eyeballs!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    how was it?

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Bonus points to you, MalPaz if you eat head and all! lol.

I was thinking of wrapping in foil with butter and herbs and sticking them in the over?

Sure.

Let us know!
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Generally with any whole fish (I don't know this kind) my favorite way is very simple - just get a casserole pan and either grease it w/ cocnut oil or use tin foil, wash the fish and pat them dry, cover them with oil / salt / pepper (not too much oil), maybe stick some lemon slices in the body cavity. Stick close under the preheated broiler till the skin starts to brown (longer for bigger fish of course), turn once, repeat and serve. Lots of good meat around the head and you can test your caveman-ocity by eating the eyeballs!
    haha ill do it hell ill try anything once, is it gonna like juice pop in my mouth!??!! so just heat the oven to like 400 cover in salt/pepper and a bit of butter and squirt of lemon. broil. will the bones be crunchy???? im sure itll take me like 238945603 mins to scale the thing haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jrherring View Post
    Bonus points to you, MalPaz if you eat head and all! lol.

I was thinking of wrapping in foil with butter and herbs and sticking them in the over?

Sure.

Let us know!
    ..i was thinking that too b/c i think(?) i want to eat the bones and all but they need to be cooked or something. i mean i eat the sardine eyes and bones will this be the same??

ps- i will snap a pic of my eyeball eating and post it tonight haha

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    I will be anxiously watching!
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!