Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Feel Bad For My Father page 3

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey, go easy, y'all. I'd venture to say that most of us have learned over the course of our lives that the most effective way to lead someone to change is to make it possible for him to come to the conclusions for himself, which takes time & love, sometimes LOTS and LOTS of time, and years of not saying anything except on the rare, rare occasion when he makes an opening himself, one that will not in any way feel like nagging or browbeating.

But Toad is young and hasn't had the chance to learn that yet. Now is the time.

Love, example, & respect are the way, and today is the time to start! I'm sure you'll get there!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Forwarding *me* a Mercola article would lead to the sender being added to my plonk bucket. I can only imagine how well someone who thinks paleo eating is dangerous would take it. Does Mercola have cholesterol pills for sale these days?

Xenya is offline Member
    I would be so happy if my mom would eat eggs for breakfast with the extra yolk or not!
    she is currently approaching menopause and is starting to pack on weight really fast. she is horrified of eating fat that will make her gain weight obviously), and is constantly looking for hidden government conspiracies that contribute to her mysterious weight gain. last time, it was this book that she kept showing into my face that blamed calcium in our water for all the weight problems of the world. "it's because it makes your body alkaline. or acidic?", she could really rememberer, sigh. this is our dialog every time i go over to her place:

Mom: *whiny voice* I only eat fish and salads mostly, i don't understand why i have this pouch. sometimes a piece of Ezekiel bread toast with a little hummus. roasted little potatoes with dill... and lean fish! thats all i swear!

X: *sigh, where do i start!* mom, you are chewing on a candy right now.

Mom: omg, relax, one candy is not going to hurt anyone.

X: yep it will.. and besides that you inhaled the whole bag already. then you had crackers with cheese, and i have to talk to you about your disgusting habit of eating leftover rice from the Japanese green tea that you drink all the time. ( yah, she will get a spoon and eat it all) you end up eating 2 pounds of rice for a snack each day.

Mom: *melodramatically* OH MY GAWD! stop being such a bore! live a little! i swear to god i think that you are 60 sometimes. have a candy! those were your favorites when you were a child, i walked all the way to that far, faaarrr eastern European store to get them JUST FOR YOU! if you don't eat them, i will have to!!! you're making me fat intentionally... you are a horrible, horrible daughter.

- the end -

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    This morning my dad told me that he told my mom (morbidly obese) that she should eat like me to lose weight
    Hopefully these means we'll be trashing the flavored rice cakes in the pantry and the cool whip and "fat free half-and-half" in the fridge!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Hey, go easy, y'all. I'd venture to say that most of us have learned over the course of our lives that the most effective way to lead someone to change is to make it possible for him to come to the conclusions for himself, which takes time & love, sometimes LOTS and LOTS of time, and years of not saying anything except on the rare, rare occasion when he makes an opening himself, one that will not in any way feel like nagging or browbeating.

But Toad is young and hasn't had the chance to learn that yet. Now is the time.

Love, example, & respect are the way, and today is the time to start! I'm sure you'll get there!
    I hear ya - believe me. It takes patience but I am getting there. Especially since they are older.

Now, when it comes to siblings - I will speak my mind a little louder
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I have to tell ya, it's not much different with siblings. Maybe you can be a little more blunt a little more often, but anyone who feels nagged will completely shut down openness to what you have to say. Just don't nag.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

maba is offline Senior Member
    It's good that he's atleast eating 3 yolks! Many wouldn't even eat one.

Yesterday I was flipping through some mainstream health and fitness magazine and I couldn't stand it when they advocated egg-white omelettes as one of the most healthiest breakfasts. Even before I discovered PB and thought eggs were not good for you and I ate them only occasionally, I ate the yolks. Heck it's the tastiest part of the egg.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Yeah lay off the old man. Simply ask him to save the yolks for you, instead of throwing them away. Think about it from his perspective, and you'll realize how preachy you sound.
    +1 on all of it.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    Breathe in...breathe out... breath in...breathe out. Obviously you have explained your thoughts on eggs in the past. He already had 3 yolks in the pan. Ill bet 4 months ago he barely had 2 in there. He has probably already made all the concessions to your lifestyle he wants. You need to not sweat the small stuff. Im sure that caused you undo stress. Let it go brother, & be glad you got that far. My dad sees my results, & decided to lose weight "like me" (not quite). So he cut out bread & still eats NO FAT. He had bypass surgery 15 years ago, & bought into all of that CW shit. He eats the no fat cheese with his no fat bologna, no fat milk in his coffee with sweet & low, & so on. & has now put on 15 lbs he shouldnt be carrying. I gave up he cant do the fat thing. Wait 35 years until your kid tells you that PB was all wrong & you should be drinking a 2 liter pepsi with every meal, & the found water causes cancer. What will you say?
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all for your comments! Believe me, I am laying off more than ever now. I am working on bringing the community together as one and then we will all be able to help grow it much easier. People will want to ask what is going on - why there is a group of thousands of people from all walks of life that are happy all the time, are all fit and healthy yet eat tons of meat along with fat (and veggies, fruit).

I will keep my mouth shut and just let my body, energy and overall well-being do all the talking. If someone asks a question then I will talk till they stop me. But, I will not bring it up first.

My sister actually asked 10 or more questions today and it was AWESOME - you have NO idea.

I told her what I knew and she was agreeing with me! Avocados, fat, intermittent fasting and more.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123