Thread: Mosquito Bites page

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member

Mosquito Bites

Primal Fuel
    Anyone have a good remedy? I was at a cookout over the weekend and was outside to the wee hours of the night barefoot and now am covered with mosquito bites on my legs and feet. They won't stop itching. Soaked them in an oatmeal bath last night and then covered them with a baking soda mixture. One of my friends has determined that they attacked me worse out of the group because the mosquitos must have thought I was a prehistoric animal with rare delicious blood.....at least my friends are creative when they make fun of me.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Vinegar!!! Also, plantain weed, which is very common, but vinegar is usually the easiest to get a hold of. I keep it in a reclaimed bottle from lens cleaner for my glasses and keep it in our first aid kit (which is mainly vinegar, baking soda, & sodium ascorbate powder). Spray it wherever I need it. It's also great for sunburn.

I've gotten vastly fewer bites the last two summers. We went camping this weekend and I got just 3 or 4 - I used to get 20-30 on each leg on a weekend like that, using strong bugspray (just used gentle California Baby and only used it twice). I'm certain it has to do with diet - I don't know if it's a stronger immune system that keeps me from reacting as strongly (are they not biting, or am I not reacting?) or, another theory I read recently, whether my more stable blood sugar is keeping them away. The theory was that low blood sugar attracts them, observing that diabetics apparently don't get bitten?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    rubbing alcohol, dab on with cotton ball

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if it would work for mosquito bites but it works for wasp, bee, and other insect bites/stings -- make a paste of water and meat tenderizer and dab it on skin. The meat tenderizer has enzymes that break down the proteins that cause the inflammation around the bug bite/sting. However, usually works best when applied soon after the bite or sting.

Worth a try. In any case, best of luck getting over it ASAP.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    mental fortitude. Don't scratch!