Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone not feeling satisfied from these meals? page

Satori75 is offline Member

Anyone not feeling satisfied from these meals?

Primal Fuel
    When I eat a primal meal, I'm still feeling hungry after each meal.... Tried adding more veggies and fat, but still feel like my body is graving more sugar... Always had insulin issues, not sure if my body is still adjusting... Its been 5 months.... Any thoughts? For example, if I eat a meal like Marks primal salad, I immediately feel hungry and moody right after the meal???

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    What do you eat in a typical day, and what are your stats?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Have you been having regular "cheat" meals? I know that if I have something high in sugar or carbs, I have cravings for the next several days. I am not one of those folks that can enjoy a piece of dark chocolate on occasion or sugar in my coffee without raging for an entire chocolate cake for a couple days after.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    Have you been having regular "cheat" meals? I know that if I have something high in sugar or carbs, I have cravings for the next several days. I am not one of those folks that can enjoy a piece of dark chocolate on occasion or sugar in my coffee without raging for an entire chocolate cake for a couple days after.
    I am genuinely curious about this because I really don't understand it. If you eat a piece of dark chocolate, do you get cravings so intense that you cannot help but spiral down into eating all sorts of other junk? I don't know if it's just like someone who's never gone through heroin withdrawal can't understand what someone quitting the drug goes through, but I really don't understand how sooooo many people on here can't eat the slightest bit or sugar or slightest bit of grain without spiraling into days of decadent gorging and shitting blood and migraines.

Is it because I am healthy and my body doesn't swing wildly back and forth? Is it because I'm young? Is it because I have strong will power? I am honestly so confused about this!

I have been researching the past few days for biological reasons as to why some people eating 1/8th tsp of panko on some shrimp could cause them to have blinding headaches and a full 24 hours of recovery and the only thing I can find is that these are most likely psychosomatic responses they are giving themselves in response to ingesting something that they view as poisonous.

Also this is probably the wrong thread for this, maybe I should move it or start a new post or something.

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    I'm relatively healthy and young, but for whatever reason, going to excess on carbs can really affect my hunger. I typically don't eat breakfast (have never been into it) and don't get hungry before lunch, or even necessarily feel hungry at lunch. But a few weeks ago I was at a birthday and said to hell with it and dug into the cake and high sugar lemonade pretty recklessly. Despite the fact that I ate my ass off, the next morning I was more ravenously hungry than I have been in ages. So there is something to it, but IMO, hunger is pretty easy to ignore, especially when you know what's causing it.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I am genuinely curious about this because I really don't understand it. If you eat a piece of dark chocolate, do you get cravings so intense that you cannot help but spiral down into eating all sorts of other junk? I don't know if it's just like someone who's never gone through heroin withdrawal can't understand what someone quitting the drug goes through, but I really don't understand how sooooo many people on here can't eat the slightest bit or sugar or slightest bit of grain without spiraling into days of decadent gorging and shitting blood and migraines.
    sugar is a rather addictive substance and some people can handle it better than others. even the slightest hint of something you're addicted to can send you spiraling out of control. its like when someone quits smoking, they have to stay away from smokers for a while, because even the slightest whiff of smoke can trigger those overwhelming urges. they can trigger easily. when i was weaning myself off my own sugar addiction, for a while there i just had to stay away from anything with sugar in it, and even stuff that *suggested* sugar, like 100% chocolate.

here is a good article on the subject.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Quote Originally Posted by mdlaw View Post
    I'm relatively healthy and young, but for whatever reason, going to excess on carbs can really affect my hunger. I typically don't eat breakfast (have never been into it) and don't get hungry before lunch, or even necessarily feel hungry at lunch. But a few weeks ago I was at a birthday and said to hell with it and dug into the cake and high sugar lemonade pretty recklessly. Despite the fact that I ate my ass off, the next morning I was more ravenously hungry than I have been in ages. So there is something to it, but IMO, hunger is pretty easy to ignore, especially when you know what's causing it.
    I totally agree with this... eating a cake bomb and lemonade is a definite way to get the cravings going... even I would have cravings with that!

What I am confused about is the people who can't tolerate a piece of chocolate or a tablespoon of bread crumbs. I know it sounds like I am exaggerating, but those are the amounts I have seen people mention in regards to cravings and pain. I don't advocate eating bread crumbs or eating dark chocolate every night (but once or twice a week - go for it!), but if I am at a restaurant and order some fish that comes with a light panko breading because the menu was unclear... I am not going to go home and shit blood while harboring migraines and muscle weakness.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: What biological responses can become so intense that these minute amounts can cause such big reactions?

EDIT:
    That is a great link Batty, thank you for that article. I think maybe I need to read into actual addictions instead of looking for responses specifically to sugar and grain. Perhaps I was not thinking broad enough in reasons why these severe physical responses occur. I know if I ate a tablespoon of panko and had to spend 24 hours in bed, I would probably be going to the doctor for a diagnosis!
    Last edited by Rivvin; 08-10-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Rivvin... I'm guessing the reason you don't have that issue is EXACTLY because you're young and healthy. I know that I used to not have issues like that at all, but as I age (I'm 42 now) and as my health has crapped out (thyroid, adrenal, insulin resistance), my body no longer has much of a tolerance for stuff it used to. It's wierd to me as well, and it's my body, so I get how you don't "get" it. Right now I can drink one glass of wine and the next day I'll be craving carby crap and sugar all day. I don't necessarily cave, though, most of the time I power through it, but I've had times where I've given in. I think that if you abuse your body for long enough (25 years of diet coke and carby stuff... even healthy carby stuff) it just takes it's toll. your body tries to cope for years, but eventually just can't keep up. Anyway, that's my theory on the whole dealio...

As for the OP... definitely post your typical daily meals. You might think you're "adding fat", and you're WAY below what most people eat. Or you may be having more carbs than works for your body (it's different for everyone, so a lot of trial and error.)
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Thank you Minxxa, your post was very insightful! It's amazing how different everyone's body can be, and it blows me away how we all react differently to what we put in them!

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    I've found that it depends on what I eat. For example, if my protein is steak I feel full. If it is chicken I am hungry soon after. Fish and pork fall somewhere in between. I've not felt too many cravings until this week because last week I ended up eating junk with my stepkids and husband. Now I'm trying to get back on track.

I second the other posters and suggest posting your daily intake in detail. You might not be getting as much fat as you think, or your protein choices might need to be varied.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast