Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So tired all the time page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

So tired all the time

What can I do to get my energy levels up? I am eating properly and still not losing weight (so I am sure I am eating more than I am burning right now), but I am so exhausted that exercising is seriously a daunting task right now (and I actually love the elliptical).

Ideas?

batty is offline Senior Member
    can you post what a typical day's food is? how long have you been eating PB?

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

shannon is offline Senior Member
    knowing what you've been eating will really help
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

jendoe is offline Senior Member
    And, how long have been doing primal? I'm still new - but I remember reading in Schwarzbein's books that if you've been unhealthy for a long time, you may switch to a very healthy diet, and feel very tired (and even put on some fat!). This is because your body is going through a "healing phase" and rebuilding a lot of the internal "structure" that you may have lost.

Not sure if that has anything to do with what you're experiencing, but something to keep in mind!

And of course... are you getting enough quality sleep?

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Being exhausted sounds bad. Like others have mentioned, post a food log, and post personal stats. You mentioned 2000 cals in another thread - that's not a whole lot for a large male, but might be tons for a small female.

Personally, I've never had the "boundless energy" so many describe eating paleo/PB - I'm half convinced it's psychosomatic or simply the product of people swtching to a diet that takes nutrition into count from a diet of eating whatever they want whenever they want. Either way, I've never experienced it. I had way, way more energy when I was eating closer to the zone standard (though I never followed the zone diet and couldn't tell you WTF a "block" is). And no, it's not an adjustment thing - I've been very strict paleo/PB for better than 9 months at this point.

timbrownson is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    What can I do to get my energy levels up? I am eating properly and still not losing weight (so I am sure I am eating more than I am burning right now), but I am so exhausted that exercising is seriously a daunting task right now (and I actually love the elliptical).

Ideas?
    I feel ya! I've been the same and hadn't exercised for almost a week which is unheard of for me. Then last night I forced myself to go to the gym even though I really didn't want to and although I sweated even more than usual I felt better after and MUCH better today. All I did was 50 minutes on the eliptical at high resistance/low speed.

Not saying that is the answer, it could be a pure coincidence, but I'm so glad I got moving again. I'm 8 days in btw.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    have you had a physical with bloodwork recently? Before my underactive thyroid was diagnosed/treated I could only describe the sheer exhaustion I felt as being tired all the way to the core of my soul. Even after waking up from a long sleep. It was terrible.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

MumtazG38 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    have you had a physical with bloodwork recently? Before my underactive thyroid was diagnosed/treated I could only describe the sheer exhaustion I felt as being tired all the way to the core of my soul. Even after waking up from a long sleep. It was terrible.
    That is EXACTLY how I feel...all the damn time! I can sleep for 9-14 hours at a time, and I usually do, and then wake up and feel incredibly tired and fatigued...to the point that I can't get up to do the damn dishes...it's been 4 effing days! I'm so out of it....I just want to close my eyes and sleep forever! It's been like this for years...ever since I can remember...maybe except childhood though. I think I need to get some bloodwork done again....I most probably have a mixed form of hypo - hyper thyroidism, since I have a HUGE mixture of symptoms from both. Fatigure, diarrhea, weight gain/unable to lose weight, no insomnia...but fall asleep in a snap, excess facial/body hair etc.....it's actually pretty damn bad but I've learned to live with it and let my moodyness force evilness out of my mouth in order to get my way and force my husband to come home from a 16-hour job 6 days a week and do the housework...I know, I'm the worst! I hate myself!

MumtazG38 is offline Member
    sorry for the rant....wrong place I think. lol.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtazG38 View Post
    sorry for the rant....wrong place I think. lol.
    LOL.. well it's part of the whole thing.

to the OP, definitely post your typical daily eats, and how long you've been doing PB becaue depending on that you're going to get different answers.

You do go through a period of fatigue at first. Once you get through the initial stage and you have your macros (fat/protein/carb) in the range that's right for your body... if you are STILL experiencing fatigue there are three issues I would toss out there to check out first.

1) Vitamin D levels (see Cillakat's sig line she has a whole document about D and what it should look like. I can't even begin to cover it as well, so I won't. But low D levels can cause fatigue, for sure.)

2) Thyroid levels. Many people suffer from hypothyroidism and don't know it. Our SAD diets/way of living contributes to this problem. Anyway, having hypothyroidism can make you tired to your bones. If you go to about.com or google Mary Shomon, you'll get a whole bunch of info on figuring out if your symptoms perhaps match, what tests to get (don't count on the doc knowing which ones to do), and how to read those labs. Like cholesterol testing, many docs don't have a clue what the numbers actually MEAN.

3) Adrenals. Having lowered amounts of the right hormones can make you tired. Being stressed (and/or super busy, not enough sleep, lots of caffeine) over long periods of time deplete these hormones. They're not meant to be activated all day every day...

Those are my top three suggestions for fatigue issues... hope it helps a little...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast