Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Primal Parents page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Calling all Primal Parents

Shop Now
    With the school year about to start, I am looking for some breakfast ideas for the kiddos that take a bit less time to make. Lately I have been making them scrambled eggs or almond meal pancakes. The kids love 'em, but I'm trying to brainstorm for some ideas. Thanks for the input!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I imagine my kid is younger than yours at 18 months, but she loves scrambled eggs, so here's my time-saving cheat. I grease up a bowl and scramble an egg into it... put a saucer on top... then microwave for a minute with a saucer on top. When it's done, I pop the egg-omelet-thing out onto the saucer to cool, then cut it up quickly with scissors.

Much easier than watching and stirring and cleaning a pan of scrambled eggs, but has the same basic effect. Add some berries and she's good to go.

For more time-saving I make it long before she wakes up and just put it in the fridge, then toss it in the microwave when I go up to get her. When we get back downstairs, it's cool enough to eat.

Maybe I could scramble it the night before, even? Who knows!
    Last edited by Jenny; 08-09-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: scissors are faster than a knife. :D

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    You can make egg 'muffins' that last a few days (with cheese and veggies, so they can grab them and eat them up). What about making big batches of almond flour pancakes on the weekends and freezing them so you can pop them in the microwave (or toaster) in the ams? And can I please have the recipe for the pancakes, my kids LOVED pancakes and we don't make them anymore. Mozzarella cheese and fruit plate (with some almond flour crackers, also made on the weekend).

I am really concerned about lunches for my oldest, who will be going into K in Sept. We have to pack lunch and snacks, but no peanuts/nuts of any kind can be brought into the school and also no meat, so I am at a loss when it comes to PB food for her.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Here's my plan for fall. My poor groklings will have to be up at 6am and in the car for an hour commute before I drop them off for daycare. They get a midmorning snack, lunch and afternoon snack so I want breakfast to pack a punch!

I'm going to bake coconut flour mini muffins, because they will be easy to eat in the car, nutritious and easy to make ahead. An entire batch only has 3 tbsp of honey!

I'm going to make them a green smoothie to drink in the car every morning, and to add protein to it, I'm going to make a custard base of eggs and coconut milk (and a bit of real vanilla). I figure the texture will be much nicer than throwing raw eggs into their smoothies, and better than using something weird like protein powder.

I'm also thinkin' I will make those egg muffin mini frittata things. Those are portable, delicious and easy to make ahead as well. These will be alternated with cheese omelette roll ups. They love these, so on days where I have time I'll throw them together instead of just re heating an egg muffin.

Thanks for the ideas so far!
    I've been playing around with the pancake recipes I've found on here and made a little change....turns out a bit more fluffy.

1 C almond meal
    3 eggs
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp baking powder

sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon
    this morning I added 2 mashed bananas and cinnamon....closest thing to banana bread!

Wow...those lunch restrictions sound tough!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    My kiddos have the same thing every morning, and know there are no options unless they make it themselves, so they don't complain about it. I figure, plenty of folks had no choice about their breakfasts for centuries and were happy and strong without it, and so so can we be. It happened gradually, after years of them being able to choose from 10 or20 different kinds of dry cereals each morning. Bleh!

Anyway, the main thing is always eggs, but they do have choices about how it's done. It can be scrambled or omelet, w/ or w/o cheese, 1 or 2 or 3. On the weekends they also have the option of sunny side up (b/c DaddyGrok makes them beautifully) and also have bacon or sausage or both. Sometimes we'll get a wild hair and have some really buttery grits.

But the trick to it is figuring out how to make them super fast. It now takes me about 5 minutes from start to finish to prep & make & clean up from making eggs for 6 of us each morning. Part of it is having a beautifully seasoned cast iron pan (I got a small one, 8"?, that keeps the eggs from going all over the pan), so well seasoned that the eggs literally slide around the pan. Here's what I do:

Heat the pan, get out the eggs & fork, ask for plates, pour in coconut oil (scoop in the container kept in cabinet right by stovetop), crack first 2 eggs, scramble right in the pan, add salt & pepper (premixed 1:1 in a reclaimed spice jar kept in stovetop cabinet), stir eggs, get out cheese & grater, stir eggs, grate some cheese, add it or make egg flat if omelet, flip & add cheese & fold in half if omelet, remove eggs. Lower heat to med for the rest of eggs & repeat process. Turn off heat & put cheese, eggs, s/p, oil back away. Eat! (I flip the egg with the stir fork and a spatula & don't bother with "proper omelet" technique of lifting & seeping unless I'm making a 3 egg omelet.)

The cast iron pan just needs a quick rinse in similar-temperature water or wipe with a paper towel. Done.

I just told them I'm willing to make the eggs any way they want them as long as it can still all be done w/i 5 minutes, and we did lots of experimenting at first to find out who likes them what way. They know that they can ask for them to be cooked differently as long as they let me know in advance. But it's always eggs. And it's always quick!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Oh, forgot, they also have soaked oatmeal daily. The oldest two alternate making oatmeal w/ another breakast prep/cleanup task. Their favorites are frozen berries, cinn/raisin, apple/cinn, banana maple, etc. They're getting tired of it now, though, and considering having just plain eggs. The oatmeal adds virtually no time b/c I put the ingredients together at night in two minutes, and just turn it on when I start the eggs, turn it down when I hear it start to bubble while making eggs, and turn it off when we're done eating the eggs. Then one of the kids adds the flavors du jour.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    My daughter loves turkey bacon and regular bacon, and I've found that cooking an entire package of bacon and keeping it in the fridge works really well. Sometimes we eat it cold, some times we heat it up for just a second.

I second the muffins suggestions--I googles blueberry primal muffins online (don't have the link handy)and found a recipe with very little added sugar and half an eggs protein in each muffin! Combimed with some bacon or hard boiled egg, and breakfast is almost done!

If you're ok with dairy, my daughter also loves cottage cheese. If you add some chopped fruit it would be readying seconds In the morning while still providing plenty of protein!

Thanks again for all the great tips and ideas! I feel inspired. I had found a basic almond meal muffin recipe and have added berries, tsp of jam, or dark chocolate. The whole family loves 'em.

We just got back from the grocery store and I was successful in saying NO to the cereals. Wa-hoo! I look forward to trying out some of these things.

Thanks again!

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i can't say much bec my girls need a complete meal for breakfast or its 'i'm hungry' like 10min later. just make sure it includes a good amt. of fat to keep 'em full. add some coconut oil to smoothies etc. i swear sometimes i just want to give em a tub of lard each and be done with it. i love 'em though. sigh.
    we'll be homeschooling so i am soooo glad i won't have to rush;-)

great job on the NO for cereal!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast