Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rash from ketosis? page

Vibrant68 is offline Junior Member

Rash from ketosis?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced a rash after eliminating refined carbs and grains. I have a client who eliminated all grains for a week - she was eating fruits, tons of veggies, lean meats, a little olive oil and butter, and developed a rash on her ears that spread to her neck and face - one of her eyes became swollen as well. She went to her physician who tested her urine and he told her that the rash was due to ketosis. (She is not diabetic or insulin resistant - but does have autoimmune issues) I have heard of some people developing a rash while on a VERY low carb diet such as Atkins - but she was eating fruits and veggies!

I figure you primal folks might have some ideas for us!

Thanks!

Michelle Corey CNC

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I also have recently developed a rash on my face, neck, and chest. I am eating a lot of vegetables and at least one piece of fruit a day.

syzchan is offline Member
    I developed a rash but I was vlc (<30g). I combed through many, many low-carb and bodybuidling forums and found this link someone posted: http://www.ijdvl.com/article.asp?iss...09;aulast=Boer

It's called prurigo pigmentosa and the description totally matched mine. But it normally doesn't affect the face.

Also, what's the rash like? Bumpy? Itchy? Comes and goes? Any itchy, painful or swollen throat?

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i'd say candida die off (other pathogens dying too). lower carb diets are very healing when it comes to this. antifungal diets are pretty much the same as primal (little more strict though)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, Shannon! Clearing my Candida overgrowth is one of my main reasons for being Primal. I'm also taking apple cider vinegar daily for this purpose.

yay!!!! that was also my main reason. acv is super potent @ killing the buggers too.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Vibrant68 is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I thought die-off at first too but she doesn't have ANY other symptoms. This rash started on her ears (not in her ears) and then spread to her neck shoulders and face (swollen eye). The rash is bumpy and very itchy and looks like dyshidrotic eczema (small red vesicles filled with clear fluid). The patient is of Mexican decent and has a history of autoimmune disease in her family (mother has rheumatoid arthritis and aunt has Lupus). She came to me to treat pain in her hands and arms which she feels is the beginning of a rheumatoid condition. I started her on an anti-inflamation/elimination diet i.e., no grains, dairy, sugar, corn, or soy, etc., - it's lots of veggies, lean meats, eggs, and some low glycemic fruits. Three days into the diet she was ketonic and developed the rash. She has not tried any new personal care products and she hasn't had contact with any new plants or potential allergens. It doesn't look like prurigo pigmentosa - of course we'll see when it heals. Her doctor suggests that the rash is directly caused by ketosis and that she needed to add the grains back. I have put hundreds of patients on this diet and have never seen a case like this.

Syzchan, did your rash leave any pigmentation? Did it go away when you raised your carbs?

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this after only 4 days of going off grains???

BareFootForward is offline Junior Member
    How much are you taking? I'm interested in getting rid of some issues myself.

@barefoot: if you're asking about acv, you can take a few TB. mixed with water and drink throughout the day. take it slooooowwwww. maybe start with smaller amt.
    really works though.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant68 View Post
    This rash started on her ears (not in her ears) and then spread to her neck shoulders and face (swollen eye). The rash is bumpy and very itchy and looks like dyshidrotic eczema (small red vesicles filled with clear fluid). The patient is of Mexican decent and has a history of autoimmune disease in her family (mother has rheumatoid arthritis and aunt has Lupus).
    I'd be worried about herpes zoster involving the eye region. But you said she has seen her doctor. If her eyeball is painful or red or vision is affected at all she should really get a second opinion immediately.
    Last edited by avocado; 08-09-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast