Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rash from ketosis? page 2

syzchan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yup, got the pigmentation still. It was hard to tell since the first time I got the rash, it lasted about 6 weeks (mid-March till end of April) and then about 2 weeks when it came back at the beginning of June. It may have been in my head, but I thought that eating more carbs helped calm it down a bit (but I was pretty stubborn/fearful of upping carbs and wasn't convinced it was due to ketosis) and eating a lot of pork fat seemed to make it worse. But as I said, that was probably likely in my head. It also happened after a few months of vlc. I convinced the doctor to give me a prescription for the antibiotic treatment mentioned in the article and its been about 3 weeks since I stopped treatment, so about 6 weeks rash-free. Plus, I'm trying hard to stay in the 50-75g carb range.

The rash was never pus-filled/vesicles, but was severely itchy to the point of almost painful/burning.
    Last edited by syzchan; 08-09-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Vibrant68 is offline Junior Member
    It's on both sides of the midline, no pain and no other symptoms so pretty sure not herpes - thank goodness - just a weird itchy rash and swelling.

Lsr
    Lsr is offline Junior Member

Rash

I too developed a rash on neck, jaw, (later on back and arms) around the time that I started this diet - 1.5 years ago. I have spent a year trying to figure it out- no allergy to soaps, no bugs, no sun...I increase carbs, but it doesn't completely go away and I gain weight and get headaches. Going to a Dermatologist in a week.

Did anyone find relief by increasing carbs? Ot medicine to help? I feel so good, I don't want to start eating carbs again.

Janice is offline Junior Member
    I have this issue. And I only have this issue when in a state of ketosis. Which sucks. Because otherwise I love this lifestyle. But the recurring rash does give me pause and causes me to question whether this lifestyle is a healthful fit for me.

And yeah, once the rash appears, nothing cures it but carbs. And the healing effect of the carbs is almost immediate.
    Last edited by Janice; 09-26-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Lsr
    Lsr is offline Junior Member

rash cited in medical study

Did anyone find a way to deal with this rash? or its reason? I did find a medical study that was looking at weight loss and low carb diet. It did mention that 10% of the people had rash as a side effect. I'm not sure I could find the study again -sorry. It was in a medical journal from my university, though.

I am coming close to two years having the rash. I take heavy antihistamines day and night, but it really only reduces the swelling, the new spots still emerge every day or so. About once every 15-21 days, I will have no new itching spots for 2-3 or so days. Its such a relief.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12