Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back on Bare Feet - Longtail's Journey page 2

Longtail4711 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm going to try to keep this journal going for at least a month to track progress and add notes. I'll keep coming back over the day to edit my journal posts to track the foods I eat and exercise I do.

Breakfast: Pork blade steak and a tomato.

Lunch: Sliced fresh tomato with mozzerella slices and fresh basil

Dinner: cauliflower crust pizza with mushrooms and dark leafy greens

Snacks: 3 squares dark chocolate, my fruit juice/club soda drink

Exercise: 1/2 hour walk in the morning and in the evening with the dog.

I slept well and woke up well this morning. As I was getting dressed this morning, I noticed I've lost a little off my frame. Since it's only the first week, it's probably just bloat with a little fat, but I definitely see a slight change in appearance. I certainly FEEL less bloated, which is a relief.
    Last edited by Longtail4711; 08-12-2010 at 06:37 PM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sorry to disappoint you.

I would say if your heart is absolutely dead set on this (although a desire to work from home is the worst reason to get into the field), you have GOT to learn how to edit/transcribe (we actually do very little actual typing any more these days) the hardest of the hard operative reports, specialties, and trauma .... all by doctors who can barely speak English. The more rote clinic notes are now being done in the electronic medical record directly by the practitioner him/herself with pop-down screens. And work for a hospital. Please, please, please don't mess with any of the outsourcing services. There, you'll be making minimum wage, with no benefits.

Just know that a lot of experienced MTs see the writing on the wall and are bailing left and right.

Any experience you already have in medical terminology would be helpful in court reporting. In fact, medical terminology is part of the CR/CC curriculum.

*sigh* Ok. Since I'm stuck in this course, I'll go for it for now. I'm unemployed and on UI, and I just got approved by UI to do this course. So I need to at least get started somewhere.

Then I shall see about saving up to go for the CR/CC curriculum.

Thanks for the warning, TigerLily, I'll keep working on it!

As I was washing dishes tonight, I thought, "You've just crushed that woman's dreams."

I feel awful about it. But I am telling you the truth. It's a time of great change (and not in the best interest of MTs) within the industry. Wish I could have gotten to you three months ago.

I'll keep my eye on you here on the boards. Let me know if you ever need any help with anything.

Ginger

Don't fee bad, Ginger. I REALLY appreciate that you spoke up. You gave me a very important warning, and I'm taking it very seriously.

The problem is, I don't have a lot of recourse right now. I thought this was a logical progression from working in clinical research because I already have half the skill set for this and all the research I found pointed that the industry is growing. Unemployment accepted it readily so I could get worker retraining and extension on my benefits. I'm all registered and accepted to classes so I have no choice but to go forward.

The very idea of people sending something like this to India scares the bejeezus out of me. I've worked with medical reports for a long time now, and know exactly how the wrong word or grammatical mistake can cause serious damage.

Like, the one where guy that went into a coma AFTER he died. That was because someone messed up their commas!

I'm wondering if it would help if I learned foreign language to English Medical Transcription. Like Spanish or Chinese. What do you think?

I live in Lynnwood, btw.

Breakfast: IF

Lunch: Pork blade steak, salad of dark leafy greens, carrot, and radishes

Dinner: 6 strips of bacon, 1/2 avocado

Snacks: 1/2 avocado, 3 squares dark chocolate, juice/club soda

I can't believe I've gotten through an entire morning fasting without getting hungry. Two weeks ago, this would have been utterly impossible. I was risking a hypoglycemic episode if I did not eat breakfast.

I'm still going through waves of carb cravings, but they aren't anywhere NEAR as strong as before I cut out grains. I realize I'm indulging in chocolate and a little juice every day. As it is, I will lose a substantial amount of weight and corrected some very serious health issues. I think I'm doing ok for now. Tweaks and adjustments will come later.

I can't wait until I get our farm. I'm looking forward to getting our goats, and being able to have fresh goat's milk, cheese, and butter we make ourselves! I remember when I was a pre-teen, I worked on a farm every summer. I was allowed to have a glass of fresh warm milk from the goats every morning when I milked them (and we had Saanens, which are the Holsteins of the goat world! There was always MORE than enough for making various products!). There really is nothing quite like pausing for a glass of raw milk after a tough morning of mucking and feeding and you're hungry for a snack. Just a few ounces makes you feel comfortably full and complete and is oh so satisfying.
    Last edited by Longtail4711; 08-13-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Hey Longtail, congrats on finding this site. I'm still fairly new to PB too and I feel really lucky to have found it. I was not way overweight, but was steadily putting on pounds and there were some indications of pre-diabetic symptoms. I'm feeling pretty good these days after just a few months of pb - still drinking on the weekends though, so the weight loss has stagnated a bit.
    Anyway, I caught the part about you getting a new dog and had to share about my little assistant. He's been a great impetus for me walking. I otherwise have a tough time motivating to walk. I play a game with my pup which incorporates the sprints into my walks. I posted it yesterday here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...925#post181925
    It just seems to make the sprints have a purpose.
    Best of luck with your changes!

Thanks, Piscator! I feel lucky myself and I think good things are on the way.

Breakfast: Steak and salad with dark leafy greens, broccoli

Lunch: IF

Dinner: Shrimp Grok-a-mole (Delicious!), fresh blackberries off the vine

Snacks: none

It's going to be bloody hot today, so I'm going to make this a slow moving day. I battened down the fort with mylar blankets on the windows (behind the venetian blinds so the neighbors don't think I have a grow operation going!), the fans set up strategically, the dog (and me) walked early, and my deck garden watered before the sun comes to that side of the apartment.

I plucked a few of my broccolis growing in a Rubbermaid bin for my breakfast salad. :9

I didn't mean to IF again today, but I ended up doing so. Was working on some artwork and lost track of time. Normally I'd be sucking down Cokes and munching candy bars while working, but it just didn't enter my mind. Will wonders never cease (I hope not!)!
    Last edited by Longtail4711; 08-14-2010 at 05:49 PM.

I'm originally from Houston, and my first summer here in the PNW (five years ago), I couldn't believe how bloody hot and humid it can get!!! As such, my first place didn't have A/C. There were a couple of nights I had to sleep outside because it was hotter in the apartment than outside. Now I've me got a new cave, uptown, with central A/C.

To answer your Q about learning another language so as to figure out what the docs are saying: LOL, no, it's not quite that bad. You'll learn the myriad of accents. (Chinese is the most difficult to me, but others seem to have a lot of difficulty with the African and Vietnamese docs.) Actually, some of the very worst dictators you'll ever get are plain ole sloppy, inconsiderate American motormouths. We've got one here who talks like Yoda: "See the patient back in followup tomorrow, I will."

Despite the downward spiral of the field, I really enjoy being an MT. Even after 15 years, I continue to learn interesting and useful things on a daily basis. And I get to hear all sorts of hilarious, scandalous, sad, and frustrating things all day long. Transcribing the ER notes are particularly fascinating. Every three-day weekend, there's tons of trauma cases coming in, and you'll be transcribing those history and physicals STAT as the trauma team is wheeling the patient down the hall into surgery.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast