Thread: What to do with unsweetened chocolate (besides eating it straight up)? page

Marisa is offline Senior Member

What to do with unsweetened chocolate (besides eating it straight up)?

Shop Now
    I bought some Bakers Chocolate (so not the BEST quality) a couple months ago and it's been sitting in my cupboard. I find it far too bitter to eat plain; my tolerance is 85%-90%. Is there any recipe where I could integrate it into coconut flour in cookies/muffins or melt it with honey and coconut oil to make candy-type treats? I've been looking online but the majority of recipes use 70-72% chocolate so the unsweetened chocolate wouldn't be a 1:1 substitution. Thanks!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Similar question. I just bought an 8-oz pack of Scharffen Berger Cacao Nibs (on sale for $3.49). I opened the pack and tried it; pretty darned good, but I'd rather use it in a recipe than just eat it straight.

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Unsweetened chocolate (chocolate liquor) can be used like cocoa in recipe but you will need to adjust the amount of fat. Dry cocoa is 12 - 15% fat, where as the unsweetened chocolate is generally 55% fat.

The substitution of using cocoa for unsweetened chocolate is 3 table spoons of cocoa plus 1 tablespoon of fat (shortening or butter) = 1oz of baking chocolate
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Scharffen Berger Cacao Nibs can be used like "bakers chocolate" in recipes. I bet you could modify the "brownie" recipe in the PB cookbook to use the Nibs. if you follow the substitution above, you have to melt the Nibs in a double boiler, you should be all set
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    I was really craving something with the texture of chocolate last night (but not chocolate specifically...) so I grabbed a square of the unsweetened stuff. It actually wasn't too bad! I found I can only have one serving at a time since it really coats your mouth. I'll definitely pick up a higher quality bar like Ghiradelli next time though or maybe a good brand of 99%.