Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Recipe for homemade taco seasoning?

Recipe for homemade taco seasoning?

Shop Now
    So my hubby made tacos last night for the family and I decided I would have a taco salad. Uh, no.....I looked at the ingredient list for the seasoning and guess what? Wheat flour and MSG. Great! So, does anyone have a good seasoning recipe for tacos?

Cumin, coriander (optional), chili powder, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, garlic, jalapeno, and onion until it smells right. For a pound of meat, I usually use a couple tbsp chili powder, a tsp paprika and cayenne, 1.5 tsp cumin, 1/2 an onion, diced, 6-8 cloves garlic (most folks'd only want 2 or 3 cloves) 2 jalapenos and salt and pepper to taste.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
    Thank you! It looks wonderful! So do you normally use the entire recipe for 1 lb. ground beef, as you would a normal seasoning packet?

It's close. You could just mix up one batch and try it out to make sure it's palatable, but I like to use just a LITTLE bit more (1 tsp more) than what the recipe makes. I mix up a whole bunch of it and use about 3T/lb.

This is the one I use: http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencal...ning-mix-76616

That whole recipe is probably about the right amount for 1.5 lbs... I'm not entirely sure, I make a big batch and just add it to taste. I usually add a little tomato paste to my taco meat, as well.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Shop Now
    I take the KISS approach. Good quality smoked paprika to taste. A bit of chipotle powder if I want to "kick it up a notch."

I have been eating Mexican food for most of my 67 years. Smoked paprika/chipotle is all I need.