Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat Free Half-and-half page

lcme is offline Senior Member

Fat Free Half-and-half

I recently had the amazing opportunity to travel in Florida for 3 weeks. I am from Victoria, BC and I was so shocked at how much more obsessed stores were with the low fat culture. We shopped at the standard big box stores (it was all on my boyfriend's non-primal parents dime) and god help me if I could find coffee cream or yogurt with fat in it. My most frustrating experience was being at Wal Mart and finding NO cream, not even half-and-half. Oh, but there was FAT FREE half-and-half. WTF is that? How is that different from skim milk? More chemicals and artificial things to make it ~seem~ fatty?

The stores and people are more obsessed with low fat and yet the population is much more obese than what I'm used to seeing. It all makes me kind of sad.

Needless to say I am very happy to be back home.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    fat-free fat: it is modern magic! They can add it on top of low-carb breads and tofu bacon.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    We have that at our stores in Los Angeles: it's one of the scariest things I've ever seen.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Awful isn't it. At my usual supermarket, we are down to just ONE selection of pure cream in small cartons, and they don't replenish it until the last one is sold. There's a few thickened ones, and most are 'light' 'reduced fat' etc etc. Drives me nuts.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Is an oxymoron. Emphasis on moron.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing the cartons are just filled with water.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

mizski is offline Senior Member
    The more I clean up my diet, the more disappointing the regular grocery stores are to me. I used to shop the perimeter of the store and be happy. Then I started to really look at those foods: produce from another country (how old is that?), factory meats and poultry, ultra-pasteurized dairy products that are mostly fat free. Fat free or low fat is the big thing here and most of it is chemical concoctions. Ugh.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I used that back in the day. Even then I thought it was a little strange but I'd do whatever it took to eat less calories. Fat-free half & half... half skim milk, half pure creepiness. *shudder*
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Back in the day I had to eat cereal in skim milk. *blech*

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I confess to having bought the fat-free half and half; like mayness, just trying to consume fewer calories. I used about 1/3 of the carton then I looked at the ingredients. Even pre-PB, I knew all those chemical-y items couldn't be good. I poured it out.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast