Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning chopping boards page

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member

Cleaning chopping boards

Hi,

What is the best method of cleaning a chopping board that has had raw meat or poultry on? Or is soap and hot water satisfactory?

Many thanks.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Assuming you're talking about a wooden cutting board.

Honestly, I would not even use it for meat. EVER! Wood absorbs. And unless you want to use chemicals on it, you can not be sure that you're getting all the muck left behind that can have severe consequences; Especially if you don't cook everything that touches it to DEATH

However, DH is a pro chef. He says. You can clean it with bleach (me "yuck"). Or, you can do what people do with butcher blocks. They cover it with salt after soap and water. That supposedly kills everything.

I happen to like fast clean up. Too much to do so...Consider going to target, buying some cheap little plastic numbers. They usually come in sets of 3. You can rinse and toss in the dishwaser (or just soap and water), and know that you're safe.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezerinno View Post
    What is the best method of cleaning a chopping board that has had raw meat or poultry on? Or is soap and hot water satisfactory?
    Yes, but it's said but you shouldn't make it so damp that it doesn't dry quickly. I believe butchers use a rag dipped in very very hot water and wrung out so it's not too wet. I don't know whether washing-up liquid is strictly necessary, but if you do use it perhaps follow up with clean water to stop anything you cut up on it tasting soapy. I definitely wouldn't use anything stronger - not proprietary anti-germ products or anything like that. If you noticed an offensive smell you could probably use a little vinegar diluted in water or something like that.

Standard advice is to have separate boards for different purposes.

Boards made from the proper wood actually stay pretty germ-free. I heard an amusing story about an Italian chef who was visited by health inspectors acting on EU regulations (but in England). He was told to use coloured plastic boards instead of wooden ones, on the basis that these were believed to be more germ-free. Anyway, eventually the inspectors caught up with hundreds of years of culinary practice and discovered that wooden boards are actually better. They told the chef next time they visited that he could use his boards. He was so enraged he went and fetched a beautiful wooden chopping board from where it had been needlessly mothballed in a cupboard, seized his chopper, and smashed it to matchwood.

Sorry I should have been more specific; I actually use plastic chopping boards. I'm just a little anxious about having raw meat on them but if the dishwasher/washing liquid is sufficient then thats fine.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    I use a bamboo cutting board, because it really doesn't absorb much in the way of juices and such.

I really don't freak too much about germs from my raw meat; if I've cut meat on one side, I'll just flip it over for the salad veggies.
    Clean it immediately with hot water and soap; flip it on its side; let air dry. Oh, and while you're at it, it's good to clean the knife immediately, too.

Nobody has ever gotten sick from food cooked in my kitchen

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezerinno View Post
    Sorry I should have been more specific; I actually use plastic chopping boards. I'm just a little anxious about having raw meat on them but if the dishwasher/washing liquid is sufficient then thats fine.
    I wouldn't put them in a dishwasher. Squeezy liquid and water is fine. Just make sure the water's very hot. Antibacterials - much advertised on TV right now - are not needed and have drawbacks:

http://www.naturalnews.com/029006_an...p_dioxins.html

Okay thanks for the responses guys and girls.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    One advantage to grass fed meat - much lower risk of e coli!

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    The arguments surrounding plastic versus wood cutting boards constantly cycles through one being better than the other as far as sanitation goes. A good trade off is to have a cutting board dedicated to raw meat and poultry and one dedicated to everything else. That puts an end to cross-contamination issues at least.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use plastic and put them through the dishwasher. No problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast