Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Let's Discuss this book.

Cliff notes: Humans are seasonal animals who only consumed carbs during the summer, when they ate like mad. They put on some fat for insulation during winter. Secondly, humans used to get up with the sun and go to bed with the sun. So all our artificial lighting makes us think its summer all year round and we eat carbs like crazy and we don't sleep enough and this is screwing up all our hormones.

Thoughts? Opinions?

netbum is offline Member
    I just got this book from the library today, on the recommendation of Underground Wellness. It makes sense, doesn't it? I will comment more after I read it. I am interested in hearing from others who have already digested the book ...

PrimalMike is offline Junior Member
    I JUST finished this book today.
    I thought it was great. The writing wasn’t amazing like Michael Pollan or Lierre Keith, but the content was outstanding.
    I’ve been Primal for over a year and have read quite a bit since starting, so i’m always worried when I buy a new book that I won’t learn anything new.
    Fortunately it went into depth/detail enough for me to learn a lot from it. But wasn’t too technical or “science-y” to where I got lost.
    Everything they talked about pretty much backs up and supports a Primal Lifestyle.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    The lighting thing is *huge*.

Huge huge huge. We need more sleep and we need it every. single. night.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    The lighting thing is *huge*.

Huge huge huge. We need more sleep and we need it every. single. night.
    This makes me sad about still being awake. :P

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMike View Post
    The writing wasn’t amazing like [...] Lierre Keith[...]
    Please somebody tell me that the writing isn't possibly worse that Keith's. I read her book despite her writing.

The book at hand sounds awesome.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Glad to see I am getting reponses. The most important thing I learned from her book was the effect ruining your sleep patterns has on your immune system (which is a major concern for me).

I am going to try and match my sleep patterns to the sun. I started trying it when I first bought the book and its kind of hard to get used to. There is so much temptation to use artificial light. I plan to eat VLC to ZC up until the trees start bearing fruit than I am going to up my fruit intake for a few months and not worry about sleeping, and then when autumn kicks in I will cut out the fruit (maybe gradually) and start going to bed with the sun again.

Its only a few months until summer now so thats not enough time for a major test but by summer next year hopefully I'll be in better shape than ever.

Does anyone have any tips for trying to follow the advice about avoiding artificial light whilst living in the modern world?

peril is offline Senior Member
    But you'll miss so many football games on the box!

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    But you'll miss so many football games on the box!
    I'll have more time to watch cricket though.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    The only problem I had with this book is that I do NOT have an increased appetite in the summer, I do not crave more carbs, I have tended to lose a little weight in the summer and gain it in the winter. I live in Seattle, 47 latitude, where we have extremes of light and dark with the seasons. In the summer we have so much light (4:30 am to 10 pm) and it feels like the light itself is energizing, don't need as much food. In the winter we have 16 hrs of darkness and that is when I have craved carbs the most. I can attest to the fact that eating carbs is stimulating and maybe I crave them more in the winter to help me stay awake. When I worked nights, I ate to stay awake.

I do know that staying up all night with artificial lights on is terrible for the digestive system. I used to suffer from awful stomach aches on nlight shift. So the part in the book about how darkness is essential for down regulating the gut bacteria and keeping them in balance rings true. Working nights wreaked havoc on my brain and I developed narcolepsy. As much as I enjoyed it in many ways, I had to give it up because I could not function on my days off.

I found the hypothesis that we intentionally become a "little" diabetic at the end of summer a fascinating theory. If we have higher blood sugar, it acts like antifreeze in the blood stream, preventing us from freezing. Only problem with this is that by the time the seriously freezing weather comes around, we don't have those fruits and berries around to keep our blood sugar high and you have to be eating them daily to maintain high blood sugars. When they are available in the summer is when you least need that effect. But, it could explain to me why I crave carbs more in winter....

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast