Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Saturated Fat safe? page 2

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    There is no link between satiated fat intake and stroke, heart disease, or peripheral vascular disease.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Research Ancel Keys for info on the worst scientific fraud ever perpetrated.
    Or in a bit of animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4

(FatHead clip)
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Your doctor is functioning on information that is not only twenty to thirty years out of date, but incorrect when it was first published. He had one day of nutrition classes in medical school. Just keep doing what you're doing, and read the books that others have recommended. Doctors don't know everything.
    I heartily second Griff's opinion. And I'm a doctor ...
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If the media and charlatan medical practitioners repeat something enough, we tend to forget where the burden of proof lies, and it is on those who assert the affirmative and have never in 30 something years produced the least bit of evidence for their position. But that is fine, because we can falsify the notion.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...iet-heart.html

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...n.2009.27725v1

Doh!

I'm actually more of the disposition that if you replace enough grains and pufas with saturated fat you can substantially reduce your risk for heart disease, though there still needs to be some more concrete evidence.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

NPA
    NPA is offline Junior Member
    I'm not sure if this is the place, I wanted to go over the reasons I'm no longer worried about saturated fats. I'm trying to put a scientific picture book together, so its concise. The clincher for me was the wikipedia page on why saturated fats are bad is entirely made up of epediomological studies, not science. The science of heart disease looks at artherosclerosis, which is ?fine until there is inflammation. Inflammation is related to prostaglandins, which is related to the omega 3, 6, and 9 fats. Series 1 & 3 reduce/ regulate inflammation. These ones are made of omega 3's and monounsaturated fats (omega 9's). Series 2 is from omega 6's which are in excess in your standard vegetable oils, and cause inflammation (which is useful in some circumstances). I really can't find anything wrong with saturated fats, and even if you believe the lipid hypothesis (the saturated-fats-are-bad official line) then there are individual saturated fats that are good for your cholesterol ratios. TC:HDL - eg. lauric acid which is in coconut oil, has the best effect on this ratio than any other fat. See wikipedia. Does all this make sense to you guys?
    I think all this information should be more easily accessible and want to make it so. I think people who are less inclined to believe that which is not mainstream shouldn't have to have a crisis of faith in their doctor and the medical system and science, in order to change to a healthier diet.

egger is offline Member
    My mom's orthopedic surgeon told her she (I) shouldn't squat if she (I) don't want knee problems. I have respect for him too but will keep squatting.

Bpaul, it's time to take your life into your own hands. Somebody is majorly wrong, and for some reason I don't think conventional wisdom is right (saturated fat consumption is way down from 25 years ago...)

The Chris is offline Junior Member
    Indeed. If your body "couldn't handle it", why would it store excess calories in that form? Bodyfat in humans is similar to that in pigs, so when you use stored fat for energy, you're basically (metabolically) "eating" lard.
    I eat lard. It's cheap, energy dense, and primal.
    Last edited by The Chris; 09-26-2012 at 06:48 PM.

The Chris is offline Junior Member
    Just give saturated fat a chance. If you notice any problems you think might be caused by the saturated fat then return to your original diet. I use that approach whenever I feel unsure about certain dietary advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12