Thread: A Return to Primal Living page

hoopchi is offline Junior Member

A Return to Primal Living

Primal Fuel
    12 years ago I discovered a primal lifestyle while experimenting with weight loss. I moved to a diet that focused on good, lean meat and vegetables only. I cut out all grains and sugars including getting rid of a Coca Cola habit that haunts me to this day. I lost 70 pounds over the course of a year or so and thought I was on my way to a long life of health and happiness.

Some things in life happened including a separation and divorce, a job loss, and I crept back into eating the American way. I gained all that weight back and then some. My recent doctor visits have been sobering to say the least. My blood work has been all over the chart and he finally decided that I had to have some blood pressure medicine to get it under control.

I hate medications and have eschewed them my entire life, but I have 2 young daughters from a new marriage and I want to be around for them. I've been taking them, but want to get myself to the point where they are not necessary. So, I decided 3 weeks ago to look for a fitness plan that was close to what I did all those years ago and I found Primal Blueprint. I devoured the book on Kindle (thanks Mark for making it available in that format) and then began immediately to switch my eating and started cold turkey with the plan. I've already lost 12 pounds and I already feel better. I'm so very glad that I found the site and I just wish that when all those things were going on, I had stuck to the way of life I already knew to work.

I look forward to being involved in the site. I've lurked here non-stop for the past 3 weeks and have discovered that many here are still just as excited about this lifestyle as I currently am, which gives me hope for a long, sustained run as a modern day Grok. When life gets me down now, I'm going Primal!

Below are my questions answered.

The Questions:

Your location: Augusta, GA

Age (If you want): 43

How Primal are you: Sold out

Do you consume dairy: occasional cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: green tee only

Motivator for switching to Primal: health and lifestyle

Favorite exercise: ultimate frisbee

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: able to eat steak!

Worst part about being Primal: Miss pizza.

john b is offline Junior Member
    just curious what ur bp was that the doctor wanted u to take medication? welcome to the primal blue print

That's the funny thing. When I take my BP at home, it hovers around 120/80. At the office, I have a crushing white coat factor and it rises to 140 or more. I should mention that I also suffer from migraines and that the BP medicine is designed to help with those as well. So there was more to it than just BP.

john b is offline Junior Member
    i'm clearly no doctor so take what i say with a grain of salt but...........i've been told to go on bp medicine for the last 2-3 years but i refuse....my bp can climb as high as 160/110 or as low as 127/75 for no apparent reason.......i take it at home about 10x thru out the day and usually use my avg for the day as my bp most days its avg is 140/85-90.........i realize its not ideal but i want to stay off drugs for as long as i can......it runs in my family so i know its eventually gonna be necessary..........if ur having migraines look into a product called natural calm.....its a magnesium supplement whijh just about everyone is deficient in....migraines ,cramps and bp are sometimes the result of mag deficiency.........also look into a product called resperate its a machine that controls n slows ur breathing for 10-20 mins a day and i have had some great bp reducing results with it.....its expensive (about 300$ , but well worth it...........best of luck getting ur bp under control and try not to get scared into things by doctors, their first remedy for everything is pill.......i have been seeing a naturopath and without pills she has been helping my bp a lot .....if u have any other ?'s or if i can help u in any way let me know

Thanks for your advice and insights. I've got a pretty good doctor who listens to me and my concerns about medication. I will consider all the suggestions you have given.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, hoopchi!!!
    I'd like to invite you to also join, "The Council of Elders" (just click on the 'Community' tab at the top of the page).
    Come over and sit at our fire

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i am also 43, divorced recently , have 2 small children. I started taking D3 and k2 (mk-7) and it brought my blood pressure way down, in conjunction with a little bit of exercise.