Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar-Nazis page

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Grammar-Nazis

Shop Now
    As pointed out in another thread, using "loose" instead of "lose" is a common offender.

To really kick it off, you must watch this marvelous little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM

In case you haven't seen the movie, this video is a spot-on riff from a scene in Inglorius Basterds. I think they even got the same actors and location, but I'm not sure. (Seems like the sort of thing to which Tarantino would lend his support.)

Before anyone complains...no, I'm not trying to minimize the horrors inflicted on humanity by real Nazis. If you don't like the phrase, go take it up with Seinfeld and his Soup-Nazi.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Loose/lose drives me insane.

Just as bad is "would of," "could of," "should of," etc.

And while I'm on the subject, "and etc." may someday make me snap. On a related note, "With au jus" was going to cause me to be violent at one point, and then someone told me to think of it as a regionalism.

The "think of it as a regionalism" idea may save me from having a stroke. I live in Ohio, and the gratuitous preposition at the end of a phrase is ubiquitous--i.e., "Where's the party at?" I've succumbed to it myself, I'm afraid.

In fact, I'm getting worse all the time. I'd better stop complaining, because if I searched my own posts I'd be appalled.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Around here it's "whereabouts". Whereabouts is that notebook?

Katt is offline Senior Member
    *snickers*

reamz is offline Senior Member
    haha i liked that youtube vid...esp as i only saw inglorious basterds 2 days ago!

It annoys me when people get "effect" and "affect" mixed up....effect is the noun, affect is the verb!!!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post

... the gratuitous preposition at the end of a phrase is ubiquitous--i.e., "Where's the party at?" I've succumbed to it myself, I'm afraid.

In fact, I'm getting worse all the time. I'd better stop complaining, because if I searched my own posts I'd be appalled.
    When I wrote my initial post, I almost wrote "the sort of thing Tarantino would be supportive of" but I caught myself!

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Their/They're/There and You're/Your

It's not that hard, people! Reminds me of this cell phone picture I took AT A COLLEGE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    aarrrrgggggghhhhhh! don't get me started! sigh...

My hugest peeve is the overuse of the word "like". Sometimes I ask people to substitute "similar to" so they can realize how bad they sound.
    And speaking of that reminds me of "to", "too", and "two". Why is that so hard?? ok, I'm done...

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I live in the middle of redneck country- West TX- and some of the phrases I hear just make my blood run cold. "I'd done got that sidewalk permit doohickey and now they's awantin' a drainage thingy because my prop'ty is so big." Some of them, I have to look at them and around to make sure I'm not subject of some bad practical joke.
    The worst offenders, to me, are there/ their/ they're, no caps/ all caps, run- on sentences, and using apostrophes/ quotes for emphasis. NO! If you want to emphasize it, then underline it, bold it, capitalize it, italicize it; but for the love of all you hold holy, do not wrap quotes around it. It drives me bat- shit. It's one reason I can't stand most forums on the web. You get a bunch of grown folks typing like they failed third grade English. WTH?
    Last edited by naiadknight; 08-07-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: misspelling
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

mayness is offline Senior Member
    My absolute favorite guides to grammar and spelling:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling (lose vs loose is the very first one!)

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...verything.html (<3 Allie Brosh)
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast