Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar-Nazis page 9

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Y'all are gonna hate my posts. I ain't never learnt to talk talk english good. As a product of the Dade County Public School System(all the Miami will know what I speak of) I'm lucky I made out able to spell my name. But I will try my best, so be gentle with me.

The irony is I married an English professor who has been known to write letters to editors correcting their publications.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I like people who deliberately use poor grammar (just like the late, great, Les Dawson (Brits of a certain age will remember him) used to play the piano deliberately badly - only someone of almost virtuoso standard can play that 'badly').

From one of my favourite poets (and ought to be Poet Laureate)

Jane Austen
    Got lost in
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Moral: - She shouldn't have went.

Roger McGough
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    i don't like when i see typing like this.when people omit spaces between sentences.somehow,by putting commas or periods,the need for hitting the space bar is negated.???
    I saw this article today over at Lew's site: Space Invaders: Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.

I was taught to use two spaces in between sentences, I guess now I will try and stick to just a single space unless I'm using a monospace font.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I read a similar article yesterday and my head almost exploded. I learned to type in the 1970s, and it was considered an error if we did not leave two spaces after a sentence.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    > I could care less
    It depends what that person means when he says it. For example, I care now but if you keep bugging me about it, I will care less.

happy1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    I saw this article today over at Lew's site: Space Invaders: Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.

I was taught to use two spaces in between sentences, I guess now I will try and stick to just a single space unless I'm using a monospace font.
    Oh - this hurts - I've been double spacing after a period in a sentence for close to 50 years - can I ever unlearn this?!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Yeah, I read a similar article yesterday and my head almost exploded. I learned to type in the 1970s, and it was considered an error if we did not leave two spaces after a sentence.
    I learned how to type in 1992 and it was a 0 if you didn't put 2 spaces after a period and I still do. Not going to stop that now.

I am a grammar nazi, but more of a spelling nazi really. I am constantly on my oldest daughter about how atrocious her spelling is.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    +1

Indeed. Love this thread. Compulsive apostrophication vexes me. But, there worse crimes, and I think we should err on the side of inclusiveness and affirmation. And, if you can't play fast and loose with the lingo someplace like this, where can you?

Stand up and shout out if Archie and Mehitabel is on your top 10 favorite books list!

And another thing...

The one that raises my blood pressure the worst is "pleaded". Nooooooooo!!!!!! It is "pled", damn it!

PrimalCon New York
    Oh, and I saw somewhere discussion of a new book called, The English is Coming, which I'm eager to see. Idea is that English has been wildly syncretic and rapidly changing for centuries, and can only become more so as there are now six people speaking it as a second or third language for every person speaking it as their first language. Buckle your seat belts, my fellow English grammar nazis, the ride only gets bumpier from here.

Returning to telegraphic, arch forumspeak. That is all.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast