Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar-Nazis page 4

Primal is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    "What's Wrong With 'Me'?"

I think 95% of our population was absent from school the day they taught how to use the objective vs. nominative case after a proposition. So many people try to sound educated and "proper" by saying "between he and I" or "with she and I." I think so many people were warned not to start a sentence with "Me and him" that it was erased from our entire lexicon. It's proper to say "between him and me" or "with her and me."

I cringe every time I hear radio personalities and newscasters falling into this trap (i.e. folks who should know better...)

[/vent]

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal View Post
    "What's Wrong With 'Me'?"

I think 95% of our population was absent from school the day they taught how to use the objective vs. nominative case after a proposition. So many people try to sound educated and "proper" by saying "between he and I" or "with she and I." I think so many people were warned not to start a sentence with "Me and him" that it was erased from our entire lexicon. It's proper to say "between him and me" or "with her and me."

I cringe every time I hear radio personalities and newscasters falling into this trap (i.e. folks who should know better...)

[/vent]
    You're right! They probably only covered it for one day. And 95% of the world needs repetition to remember and understand.

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    The most annoying to me after improper contractions is "cause" where "because" should be, it is not a short form! I don't expect people to be perfect, but dropping the 'be' completely change the meaning.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I think the people write cause, instead of because, are afraid of PrimalNavyWife, and her ability to kick their ASS... 'Cause it should be written with an apostrophe. And it retains it's meaning. Granted, it's slang. And when SAID, at least on the west coast, you can HEAR the difference. I can't understand people as I get closer to the midwest and beyond. So I have NO idea what the hell they are trying to say anyhow. They drop letters all over town. I have to gather them back up to figure it out.

For example, it took me 10 minutes talking to a woman in Boston to determine that her lost item was in the DWOR... WTF is a DWOR???? You mean DRAWER??? Then SAY IT!!!!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    I can't understand people as I get closer to the midwest and beyond. So I have NO idea what the hell they are trying to say anyhow. They drop letters all over town. I have to gather them back up to figure it out.

For example, it took me 10 minutes talking to a woman in Boston to determine that her lost item was in the DWOR... WTF is a DWOR???? You mean DRAWER??? Then SAY IT!!!!
    I'll help you out with Beantown-speak. Bostonians remove lots of Rs. Examples: chowdah (chowder), cah (car), tiya (tire), yahd (yard), etc. Not sure what we do with all those Rs but I suspect they are floating around in the Hahbah (harbor).

Thanks for the chuckle! BTW, DWOR is more Rhode Island; Bostonians would say DRAW (for drawer).

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    Didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if these have already been mentioned.

One of my pet peeves is 'I could care less'. This makes NO SENSE whatsoever. The correct term is 'I couldn't care less'.

Another is the use of the word then instead of than (I'd rather go to the range THAN the movies, too many people use 'then the movies').

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    I love this thread! I am a self-affirmed grammar stickler; recently finished reading "eats, shoots & leaves" and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in grammar and punctuation.

I used to work at a summer camp and was known amongst the kids as the grammar corrector. All of them used the ear-pinching "me and my friend;" as soon as I heard it, I had to automatically make a comment. It gets me every time I hear it!

There are also certain words that always get put into the wrong place.

For instance: "whereas" vs. "while" in cases of comparisons.

"whereas implies that two clauses in a sentence do not agree with one another (e.g., "A causes B whereas C causes D"); "while", on the other hand, is used for temporal comparisons (e.g., "I cleaned while she read")

Or how about "since" vs. "because"

"because" implies causation whereas "since" is another temporal distinction which is often used as a causation-explaining word.

Ending sentences with prepositions: very tacky!

I also want to give a shout out to punctuation, and the lack of correct punctuation in the modern world. I rode the train today and where were many signs that all desperately needed punctuation. Example: "Caution doors close when train is in motion." Where is the colon, or at least a comma?

Poor apostrophes too. How many plurals have you seen where the writer sticks an unnecessary apostrophe in there out of sheer confusion? Fruit's and vegetable's on sale this weekend only!

I could really rant about this for hours!
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Jefferson is offline Member
    I was very hesitant to bring up the "loose" vs "lose" thing in the other thread for fear of being branded a Grammar Nazi.

Who knew I was sitting in the middle of a good old fashioned Grammar Nazi Party rally the entire time? Hell to the Furor! HA!

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people don't seem to realize that "a lot" is two words; however, it's very easy to remember. You wouldn't write, "I'll take alittle break this summer" so why write, "Eating alot of steak is yummy"?

Primal is offline Senior Member
    DWOR is more Rhode Island; Bostonians would say DRAW (for drawer).
    I've lived in RI my whole life and never heard "DWOR." :shrug: Definitely "DRAW" and "CAH" etc...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast