Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar-Nazis page 3

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sea, once upon a thyme, their was a little girl. She took a French class.She blames the French. That's what Americans due. She does not blame her brain. At all! She could understand the spoken word. But then she became confused. Suddenly, she could not spell theatre, or theater. And blue and bleu became extremely daunting.

Now she's just a rapid talker and writes as she speaks. People are critical. Is is not bad enough that she's unhappy with her body? And that sour doe (a dear, a female dear) bread is calling?

Her mind sees words in different languages. Nope, she's not even fluent. Just knows all the damn different spellings. Oh, and if she's tired her dyslexia kicks in. Her brain just figured out how to cope. Turns out coping skills are important for all that life throws at you. Screaming children anyone? And they, these wacko spellings, all poor out. Does that make since, sense or cents? If she were to be given a grade on it, she would panic. She is much smarter than her spelling indicates. Now she just enjoys hearing about you squirm. The written word truly holds amazing power!

Yes, I no! I mean Know! Are you starting to itch? No? See it's not that bad.

Regardless, I can read this in nothing flat... must drive you literally out of your mind!

BTW, it's regardless, not IRregardless. Irregadless is not a freakin' word!
    Last edited by twinmama; 08-07-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: space issues... as in, get out of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I have to write and review technical papers in my career. You can bloody well bet I know grammar and care about it. It's one thing to not know, but write relatively well. It's another thing to write like a chimp on acid with a keyboard.
    Except we all know we're just this side of being a chimp. Many of which think acid is just fine. And hey, someone handed them the keyboard. It sounds much like successfully selecting stocks!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Touche', twinmama. I guess I've just been rubbed the wrong way by redneck SOBs one too many times. I'm reminded of a Mark Twain poem, but in reality, I know I make mistakes, too. I generally ignore it; or if I'm particularly irked by the flagrant abuse of the English language, make a note not to read that person/ site unless I'm in a good mood.
    As to the accounting bit, I come from a family of accountants and engineers. I chose the engineering side of the equation, hence the technical papers. I can do accounting, it just doesn't hold my interests as well as accounting. Eh. To each their own, I guess.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

And so you know the following joke.

Two rednecks are hangin' by the fence. One is proudly bragging about his son, the first in their family to go to college.

Now, HEAR this with your best redneck accent, I can't spell that way either!

"Yeah?" He says. "Tell me somethin' he says that's smart."

So the other father thinks for a minute and says... "Pie, r, sq"

And the other replies back. "Well, that's the dumbest thing I ever done heard. Everyone knows Pies are round."
    Last edited by twinmama; 08-07-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: I do type too fast.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    Haha! It bothers me when I give a cashier $1.27 (1 dollar + 1 quarter + 2 pennies) for a $1.17 coffee and they tell me I gave them too much. Yes, I know... give me a dime!
    It's even more fun when you give them a dollar and a quarter and they ring up the change of $0.08 before you can finish digging out your two pennies and hand them over. They can't figure out how much they're supposed to give you now. If you help them out by telling them just add two pennies to the eight cents and make it a dime, they look at you suspicously like you're trying to pull something on them.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Sign ze papers! Ans spell correctly!
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    It mystifies me when I see "no one" written as "noone". Yikes.

Katt is offline Senior Member
    I used to see that one in books as no-one. This whole thread makes me think about English teachers and accents, and who is or is not qualified to teach it based upon the ability to speak it correctly. Because... apparently most people cannot.

PrimalNavyWife is offline Junior Member
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I sometimes feel that I'm the only one who gets upset when I read "ect." instead of "etc." or "would of." Another of my personal favorites is when a person feels the need to use an apostrophe with every "s" they write. My writing may not be grammatically perfect, but I do try and I'm a homeschooling mother who is doing everything I can to improve the next generation. Maybe this year I'll start charging $.25 per unnecessary apostrophe!

almostGrok'd is offline Senior Member
    Marisa - they're /there/their and your/you're... are my pet hates too. Drives me nuts!!! Even supposed 'educated' people get them wrong all the time!!! aaaaaaaaargh.
    *sigh*
    love this thread. Great to vent the spleen

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast