Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar-Nazis page 2

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm not a complete grammar Nazi as I make mistakes myself sometimes, but there really is no excuse for the 'could of, would of' thing. When did you ever read a book or a newspaper with 'could of' in the text? Apart from in books like 'Ham on rye' and 'The great Gatsby' when the lower classes are speaking.

It's also incredibly irritating when Americans fail to realise (realize) that there are differences between British and American English.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Wonderful to meet fellow-obsessives! Everything you said, and also -

Hordes/ hoards
    Rein/reign
    Tenant/tenet

Better not get me started on apostrophes.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap relax.

Spelling and grammer are skills not inate abilities.

I suck at grammer and you probably suck at accounting but I am not making fun of you.

Not that I am taking it personaly but seriously, grammer makes no sense to me.

If I can't line it up in a column and sum it at the end it might as well be a different language.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamz View Post
    haha i liked that youtube vid...esp as i only saw inglorious basterds 2 days ago!

It annoys me when people get "effect" and "affect" mixed up....effect is the noun, affect is the verb!!!
    Except when it's not. Affect is a noun in psychiatry. And you can effect change.

One could effect an affect. And affect an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Except when it's not. Affect is a noun in psychiatry. And you can effect change.

One could effect an affect. And affect an effect.
    This is what I am talking about.

Who the hell knows all that?

Who even cares?

The same people I guess...

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    O.k. so now I have to say we have completely lost it. Please tell me this rant is not related to blogging. If we can type CW,SAD,PW, etc., than all grammar bets are off........... "Lighten up Francis".
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    This is what I am talking about.

Who the hell knows all that?

Who even cares?

The same people I guess...
    Yup - I know it and care, and Avocado's post gives me the warm fuzzies. However, it takes me forever to add up a column of figures, and then I get it wrong anyway. Seriously... I can't add 8 and 5 without mentally going through - OK, it's more than 10, and 10-8=2, so I need 2 from the 5 to get to 10, and then 5-2=3, 10+3=13. Guess how much I enjoyed maths lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Yup - I know it and care, and Avocado's post gives me the warm fuzzies. However, it takes me forever to add up a column of figures, and then I get it wrong anyway. Seriously... I can't add 8 and 5 without mentally going through - OK, it's more than 10, and 10-8=2, so I need 2 from the 5 to get to 10, and then 5-2=3, 10+3=13. Guess how much I enjoyed maths lessons.
    Haha! It bothers me when I give a cashier $1.27 (1 dollar + 1 quarter + 2 pennies) for a $1.17 coffee and they tell me I gave them too much. Yes, I know... give me a dime!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I have to write and review technical papers in my career. You can bloody well bet I know grammar and care about it. It's one thing to not know, but write relatively well. It's another thing to write like a chimp on acid with a keyboard.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I have to write and review technical papers in my career. You can bloody well bet I know grammar and care about it. It's one thing to not know, but write relatively well. It's another thing to write like a chimp on acid with a keyboard.
    And some people should not be able to handle there own finances but what are we going to do haha!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast