Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar-Nazis page 10

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I can handle an occasional typo/spelling/punctuation error. It's the LOLs and HOWRUs that drive me nuts.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    And another thing...
    The one that raises my blood pressure the worst is "pleaded". Nooooooooo!!!!!! It is "pled", damn it!
    I agree. The other one that bugs me is "prolly". It's "PROBABLY".

JWheelz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if these have already been mentioned.

One of my pet peeves is 'I could care less'. This makes NO SENSE whatsoever. The correct term is 'I couldn't care less'.

This one gets me too. Since you COULD care less, then you do care about it some now? Why are you telling me?

I wish people typing on phones would learn to proofread before they send. Auto correct does not work very well! The first I heard about the shootings in Arizona was from my cousin's Facebook post where he said something about "fun control." Proofread people! Proofread.

Paleobird Guest
    My personal pet peeve is people who can't figure out the difference between "literally" and "figuratively". For example: "I was so surprised that I literally dropped dead." Um, no. Had you literally dropped dead you wouldn't be here telling me about it.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Oh yes, that one makes my head literally explode. (Terrible job cleaning the carpet afterwards.)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Oh yes, that one makes my head literally explode. (Terrible job cleaning the carpet afterwards.)
    chortle, chortle

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    My husband and I were just lamenting the death of the preposition rule. Everyone ends sentences with prepositions now. Even Grammar Girl says it's ok now. http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...positions.aspx

She says, "Here's an example of a sentence that can end with a preposition: What did you step on? A key point, you might say the Quick and Dirty Tip, is that the sentence doesn't work if you leave off the preposition. You can't say, “What did you step?” You need to say, “What did you step on?” to make a grammatical sentence.
    I can hear some of you gnashing your teeth right now, while you think, “What about saying, 'On what did you step?'” But really, have you ever heard anyone talk that way?"

The answer is, I talk that way. Actually, I would probably phrase it "Upon what did you step?" But wince when I say it, because I know it sounds odd to everyone else, but as Popeye says, "I yam what I yam."

While we're at it, there is no such thing as reiterate, just like there's no irregardless. Iterate means to say something again. So if you're making your point for a second or third or eighteenth time, you're still just iterating.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    It must be somewhere here in this thread, but I haven't read all of it yet, so you get it again...

a plural is NOT formed by adding an apostrophe-"s"!

If I see that just one more time, on any sign, anywhere in this redneck county in which I live, I just may resort to becoming a graffiti artist at the ripe old age of 45!

I'm not perfect, but THAT is elementary-school stuff!!!

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I always try to proof read before I post, and will catch a your/you're mistake, and correct it, since I don't want to sound ignorant.

The best one I saw was at a McD drive thru (not for me...) was a posted sign about the "hearing and speach impaired", I guess the sign makers are spelling impaired.
    Last edited by Rusty; 12-19-2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: didn't proof read...duh

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Every time I see "use to" instead of "used to", I just want to scream. I mean, literally. Come on, If I could've learned how it's spelled/said with English being my second language, so can everybody else.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast