Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kale and swiss chard bought...what to do with it? page

dakini is offline Senior Member

kale and swiss chard bought...what to do with it?

I went to my farmer's market recently and bought kale. Now, what do I do with it? Also bought shiss chard (I think that's what it's called)..what to do with that?

thanks. I tried searching and got nothing on the forum.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE green smoothies. Swiss Chard is my favorite green and I thoroughly enjoy making a green smoothie with it.

Here is a recipe:

-1/4 C Coconut Milk
    -1/2 Avocado
    -1/4 C Water
    -1/4 C Pineapple Chunks
    -1 C Spinach
    -Top with Ice

Or if you do not have pineapple and enjoy protein smoothies then try this:

-1/4 C Coconut Milk
    -1 C Frozen Blueberries
    -1 Scoop Whey
    -2 C Spinach
    -Ice if needed

Simply add the ingredients to a blender, blend and enjoy! Substitute swiss chard for the spinach - they are both mild. Just don't add the "sticks" to the smoothie - enjoy those on its own.

Tomorrows blog post is 5 green smoothie recipes. I hope you will enjoy one of them!

Also, make a swiss chard frititta!! Or a swiss chard omelet. Creamed Kale is probably awesome too!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    Stir-fried kale is fabulous! Pull the leaves off the thick stems and chop them up, then saute with garlic, olive oil, sesame oil and tamari. SO tasty! (And it keeps well over night and reheats well)
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    Ah, ubiquitous kale. I eat it nearly every day in the summer. It just won't stop growing in my garden! It was still growing in Dec. last year. But anyway, kale chips are a staple around my house. I also put it in egg dishes, soups, I've been known to mix it with canned salmon or ground beef before making burger patties, I chop it up and mix it with other salad greens, boil it, sautee it in load of butter (and add lemon juice at the end), cream it, etc, etc. In addition, anything that calls for spinach gets subbed with kale.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    The best swiss chard I've had lately ...

I cooked it down (very little water until it was all soft) tossed in the meat of a small sausage and bacon that had been cooked together. Reheated for my lunch at work. It was delicious!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    The PB cookbook has a really good creamed kale recipe. My favorite way to have it is boiled until just starting to go limp, then add in to (already) sauteed bacon and onion with about a cup of chicken broth. Cook for about 20 minutes until the broth is nearly gone and the kale is cooked through.

I don't like swiss chard. It has to be pretty well cooked own and hidden by other flavors like egg and cheese (a la the swiss chard frittata in the PB cookbook).
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Sautee some onions and garlic in bacon grease, add the kale and sautee until just wilted, throw in some stock and cook until reduced. That's my "I'm too lazy to find another way to cook my greens" method. =]

I'm hoping I get kale from my CSA this week so I can make this though: http://steamykitchen.com/10061-kale-...an-recipe.html
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone!

How do you make kale chips? Just take the leaves and fry them up in something like coconut oil or bacon grease?

Barefoot is offline Member
    I like to mix kale (or spinach) in with my eggs when I fry them. I would also love to know how to make kale chips!

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    Sautee some onions and garlic in bacon grease, add the kale and sautee until just wilted, throw in some stock and cook until reduced. That's my "I'm too lazy to find another way to cook my greens" method. =]
    This has been my greens go to recipe as of late too...only takes like 5-10 minutes to make, and I am using up some of my bone stock in the freezer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast