Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronic Hunger Question page

Longtail4711 is offline Senior Member

Chronic Hunger Question

I'm just starting on PB after a high carb, high sugar way of eating. It's ended up creating a chronic cycle of hunger every two hours. As in literal stomach growling, clear hunger pang signal kind of hunger. I'm hypoglycemic, so it's important that I obey those signals and eat. I'm also 240 pounds overweight and I need to get a better lifestyle going.

Today is my first day at this, and I've stuck to PB foods, but have been grazing all day. I've downed an entire roasted cornish game hen and most of the turnips and vegetables I made with it over the course of the last four hours and I STILL feel like I want more food.

I'm also nervous about the idea eating salads for meals. I've never been one of those people who can have a salad for lunch, even with meat and/or eggs in it and feel satisfied. I can eat a bigass salad and I'm hungry again a half hour later as if I had never eaten.

Am I making any sense? Is this something anybody else has experienced? Will this go away eventually? It's really inconvenient NEEDING to eat every two hours. I hate this and I'm scared that this isn't going to help me.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    The constant hunger will go away once you can clear your system of the grains and sugar. Promise.

I used to be hypoglycemic, and no way could I go past 11 a.m. without food without getting shaky/light-headed/headachy. Now I don't even think about food until about 1 or 2 p.m. O.o

If you've got enough protein and fat in your BIGASS salad, you won't be hungry. Load up that bad boy with fatty meat and fat and then some fat.

It works!

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Just remember that all of those "I've always been the type of person who..." and "I could never..." go out the window with this new lifestyle. Tigerlily is so right that all of these needs you have will pass once you are PB for a few weeks. Everything will change, including your needs, your wants, and your body's reactions to every day eating. Stick with it.
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Listen to TigerLily. She's amazing.

I have to tell you that I used to weigh 365. I have lost quite a bit of weight (now 255-ish), but am just starting primal. Haven't actually started, but am working into it. I have been where you are as far as being VERY hungry, especially because of the hypoglycemia. In fact, I'm having horrible hypoglycemia episodes lately because of my diet (sugar and grains)...to the point of palpitations currently. Anyway...

You just have to get through this intial phase. I have done it before and it sucked. You might have to eat a lot in the beginning...like all the time. Your body is likely way-overproducing insulin, so you probably ARE hungry because your body is dropping your sugar since it's used to a lot coming in. Just keep eating primally. Don't stop. Like TigerLily said, you will eventually not have to deal with hypoglycemia anymore. You will get through this. Don't worry about how much you're eating right now. Just get through it. Once the grains and sugar are out of your system, you will feel so much better and won't get the hypoglycemic episodes.

Shannon

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I just reread your post about salads not filling you up. I could have written that myself! I never felt satisfied until eating carbs (potatoes, bread, etc). However, they will satisfy you once your body becomes fat-burning. In addition to Primal Blueprint, read Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas. She talks about being a "fat-burner" vs a "sugar-burner." This really hit home for me. If you're hypoglycemic, you are certainly a sugar-burner. Chances are, your body is not used to being satiated with fat. So you're NOT going to feel full at first. Just keep at it and don't give up. You can do this. I can do this. Hell, I need to be giving myself a pep talk!

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    The constant hunger will go away once you can clear your system of the grains and sugar. Promise.
    +1
    Eat whenever you are hungry though, because if you try to starve yourself, it'll only get worse. And if you fall off the wagon, it's just part of your 20%, not a problem at all. The most important thing is to just keep going, however imperfectly. It will only get better.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    Salads never filled me up either....until I started putting fats on them for dressing. Now they are one of my favorite meals - with lots of veggies, nuts, olives and meat.

I'm about five weeks into my primal transition and in the beginning, I used to get ravenously hungry around 4:30 or 5:00, but that has gradually gone away.

My strategy to get through is to simply eat as much as I want, as long as it's primal foods. I can always start to tweak amounts and times later on, when I have gotten the hang of primal eating. As it happens, I'm naturally doing that because I get filled up at meals.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Awesome that you have started the path! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Also, remember, it is not about how many times you fall down. It is about how many times you get up. You go, Girl!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes you also have to learn what REAL satiety is vs hunger coming from boredom, needing comfort, or "just because it tastes good" or because it's there. I can put away massive amounts of food...well past the point of hunger and not feel "stuffed." So, even eating primally, I've had to redefine my relationship with food - every meal does not have to be eaten as if it's my last.

As for salads - I don't usually have one for just a meal. I'm mentally happier if my protein is eaten on the side vs mixed in. Same amount of food, but if the meat is mixed in the salad I feel as if I've missed something. I don't LOVE salads. They're good and tasty (esp with a bit of bacon grease), but I don't love them. I eat them because they have a functional role in my diet...sometimes we just have to eat things because they are good for us, even though they aren't are most favorite thing in the world to eat.

I also agree with the others that hunger is SO much easier to control eating primally. I almost never really get hungry when I'm eating well (primal).
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm with everyone who says ... it'll come. For a very long time I grazed. Had hard boiled eggs in my purse, pepperettes in my pocket, coconut oil in my coffee to tide me over ... Some day soon you'll realise that you haven't eaten for a few hours and feel fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast