Thread: 24 Hour Bone Broth page

Helen Guest

I just finished making a big pot of 24 hour bone broth. Here is the link for more information:

http://soupmagic.weebly.com/index.html

When the soup was finished I loved gnawing on the bones and meat still attached to the bones and sucking the broth flavor out of the bones. I felt very primal! LOL

Mick Guest

Nice site.

I've dabbled in stock/broth with small joints of chicken but regularly making and consuming stuff done really properly like that would be so beneficial for health, and exactly what people in traditional societies did.

Helen Guest

I have made fish stock like this also. One time I stopped by the fish counter at Whole Foods and they had a whole salmon skeletin that they just finished cutting the salmon fillets from. I asked them what they did with the skeletin and they said they throw it away. I asked for it and made wonderful stock from it. After a few times of giving away the skeletin for free, they started charging me $1.00 a pound. It is still a great bargain!

I also threw in some kombu into the fish stock for extra goodness!

Helen Guest

You can use a large crockpot to make this bone broth, but I like stovetop best.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Yeah! I've done this on numerous occasions and I loved the flavor it gives to my soup. There's a Russian recipe that you make out of such broth, some nice shredded beef or chunks of beef, little bit of carrots, garlic and herbs. The point of the dish is to chill the combination (take the bone out) like you would regular Jell-O dessert. We usually would put it in large soup bowls and when it's ready it's nice and stiff and you can eat it with a fork. I love sprinkling it with a little bit of vinegar and spread some horseradish all over it. Very good and good for you too

Helen Guest

I am of Russian heritage and I know exactly what you are talking about. We used to make it with pig's feet and it is delicious.

maba is offline Senior Member

Helen, thanks for the fish bones idea! I recently had a Chinese broth made with pig's feet, it was delicious.

Mick Guest

[quote]

I am of Russian heritage and I know exactly what you are talking about. We used to make it with pig&#39;s feet and it is delicious.</blockquote>

Reading this forum could make anyone hungry. LOL

marika Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I&#39;ve been making grassfed beef bone broth in the crock pot, and I even picked up an aquarium test strip kit to see how much calcium/magnesium it had.

After 12 hours, it registered at 150mg/L of calcium/magnesium. After 24 hours, it actually registered lower than that (75mg/L. Little confusing, so I&#39;ve just been doing 12 hours. But it sure tastes good! I love drinking it with my breakfast!