Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Phrases you're really sick of hearing... page 14

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post
    It can turn into a real tragedy when high school kids think the fancy stuff sounds good, and then try to copy the fancy sound without the least consideration for meaning. Their papers turn into total gibberish... "The paradoxical paradigm of utilization within the framework dovetails with proactive metacognition."
    That reads either as gibberish or post-modernist academic writing. Either way, it's incomprehensible. (Why yes, I am a social scientist.)
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

theotherkim is offline Junior Member
    "Baby Bump"

So basically, if I hear one more pregnant celebrity described as having a "baby bump," I just might, like, throw up a little in my mouth. It's über-annoying. Just sayin.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherkim View Post
    "Baby Bump"

So basically, if I hear one more pregnant celebrity described as having a "baby bump," I just might, like, throw up a little in my mouth. It's über-annoying. Just sayin.

reminds me of another

"I'm eating for two!" *crams entire hershey pie*
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    "Is ____ primal?"

"Did Grok _____ ?"
    Haha yes, there is a place called "too far" a lot of people here like to go there lol.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    That reads either as gibberish or post-modernist academic writing. Either way, it's incomprehensible. (Why yes, I am a social scientist.)
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post
    Argh. I know what you're saying. There are people who just eat it up, I understand.

I teach high school English, mostly advanced classes. The smart kids know better than most that sort of BS works on adults, especially in a pinch, and I read a whole lot of (forgive me) crappola written at the last minute with useless fancy-sounding words they parrot from wherever.

It can turn into a real tragedy when high school kids think the fancy stuff sounds good, and then try to copy the fancy sound without the least consideration for meaning. Their papers turn into total gibberish... "The paradoxical paradigm of utilization within the framework dovetails with proactive metacognition."

I spend almost all my instruction time trying to persuade high school kids NOT to write like grown-ups! (Instead, they should communicate clearly, and if it's a sophisticated subject and they are strong readers and speakers, the appropriately sophisticated vocabulary will come naturally in their writing.)

*sigh*

Less than two weeks left...
    But you have to use that gibberish or you lose marks. God forbid you ever make a direct point.

Anyway, have either of you heard of the Sokal affair? If not then you should read the paper Trangressing the Boundaries: Towards a transformative Hermenuetics of Quantum Gravity:
    http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=016...E2.0.CO%3B2-S&

French Margaret is offline Junior Member
    I'm beginning to find the constant repetition of "awesome" a bit irritating. Not very keen on "freakin awesome" either.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by French Margaret View Post
    I'm beginning to find the constant repetition of "awesome" a bit irritating. Not very keen on "freakin awesome" either.
    Uh-oh, I think I used that one yesterday! I defend my choice of words, however. They perfectly describe that bodybuilder doing the robot dance!

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Chaonin- I thought the idea of anarchy went out of fashion ... How did you make it so long?
    Because he exercises his conscience and thinks for himself. Its easy. We all ought to try more of it !

Namaste, Chaonin

Kris T is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ORBren View Post
    OK...

"I could care less" when they really mean 'I couldn't care less'
    This one X 100.

"Are you stoned, or just stupid"
    Also can't stand when I hear 'sixes'. Meaning 'six of one, half dozen of the other'.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Big data
    Hackathon
    Disrupt
    Viral

Anyways
    I could care less

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app