Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: crispy sweet potatoe french fries page

strom is offline Senior Member

crispy sweet potatoe french fries

Primal Fuel
    Does anybody have any decent versions of this? The non paleo ones use sugar and flour which kills the potential healthiness of the treat. I'm thinking pan frying is the way to go in possibly peanut oil since I'm low on olive oil.

Any ideas on how to make them and most importantly keep em crispy?

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    I was JUST thinking of this. They sell the spears ready to go at Trader Joes... I baked em with olive oil and pepper... soo good. I baked em long enough till they were crispy.

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Primal_jessjane posted this recipe a while back and I copy/pasted it into Word so I would know where to find it. I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it with attribution.

"2-3 sweet potatoes cut like french fries
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp paprika
    1/2 tbsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    black pepper to taste
    sprinkle of sea salt
    1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk all spices together with the olive oil and then toss the sweet potato spears in the olive oil mixture until all the spears are coated. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and evenly spread the potato spears on the foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the spears over half way through the cooking time."

Sounds amazing to me.
    Last edited by Cosima; 08-06-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Mine would make the peanut haters flog me, but I just slice the sweet potato into good sized fries, and fry them in peanut oil. Kind of a cheat thing I guess because of the oil. But awesome. I've also fried them lots of times in olive oil, which I guess is better.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosima View Post
    Primal_jessjane posted this recipe a while back and I copy/pasted it into Word so I would know where to find it. I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it with attribution.

"2-3 sweet potatoes cut like french fries
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp paprika
    1/2 tbsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    black pepper to taste
    sprinkle of sea salt
    1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk all spices together with the olive oil and then toss the sweet potato spears in the olive oil mixture until all the spears are coated. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and evenly spread the potato spears on the foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the spears over half way through the cooking time."

Sounds amazing to me.
    I wish I'd have seen this last night when I was making sweet potato fries for the first time! Mine came out alright, but these sound a lot better...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

I tried that without the cayenne. Tastes good but soggy and a little heavy spice wise. we even broiled it for an extra five minutes to try to get it to crisp. I'd like to know about the peanut and olive oil frying. I had fantastic fries at Ocean City, NJ that were deep fried in soy oil. Not a fan of soy oil but another type could be healthier.

Frying em doesn't really get them crispy. But it does taste better. I did experiment with coconut flour coating, but it didn't turn out well.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    you have to make sure you slice them thin. Baking them in the oven should get them crispy, but its a fine line between just how thin and just how long you cook them for. I'm still trying to figure out how to get sweet potato (or kumara as we call them here) potato chips for munching on with my wine. I keep burning the little sods.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    To get regular french fries ie potatoes crispy the best thing to do is to double fry in lard or duck fat. So maybe that would work here? Haven't tried yet though.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    ahh yes... lard. back in the good old days, chips were always done in lard.... sigh... nostalgia.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast