Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg Grill page

mikewootini is offline Senior Member

Big Green Egg Grill

Primal Fuel
    I'm debating buying this grill/smoker but see alot of sycophant kudos for it online. Perhaps it really is that good? Being Ceramic and one of those older school things I was starting to think maybe it was more primal than the gas grill I've been using and may even taste alot better.

I was curious if anyone out there had one, used it often, or had any pro's con's they could talk about regarding this grill?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mike,

The BGE is pretty amazing. You can pretty easily achieve 700+ degrees or maintain 220 for 24 hours. I'm a Weber Kettle fan, but I mostly grill and like the lightweight portability. BGE is expensive, very heavy, and breakable, but it really is a superior slow cooker, smoker, and ultra high heat griller. A Weber Smokey Mountain is still not quite the cooker as the BGE, but it's close, easier to own if portability matters, less money, and can handle bigger jobs.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I've got a Weber Bullet smoker but secretly pine for BGE. Outta my price range.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Grol summed it up pretty well. What would steer you towards a BGE instead of another charcoal grill or smoker? Unless you have money to burn or have a really specific reason to want one, I'd start with something else. For entry level charcoal I'd recommend an 18" "silver" weber grill. It's well designed and well made, but cheap enough that you won't feel sick about it if it turns out it's not your thing.

I grill outside all the time, and recently my gas grill decided to die. My girlfriend and I had a bit of an argument about it and she says the next grill has to be charcoal, but I don't want a charcoal grill that takes forever to heat up. I've read a bunch of good stuff about this grill, but I've also read about the Bubba Keg (Which I can't find anywhere). They light up quick, cook awesome, etc... (so everyone says on the forums).

Will have to check out this weber bullet thing.

It's a "Weber Smoky Mountain." It's not at all what you want for grilling, it's a water smoker. Why does she want charcoal so badly?

Taste! I ended up getting the medium sized BGE, couldn't for the life of me locate a bubba keg. I'm looking forward to some slow roasting and searing. will have to post a review after a few uses.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    I've eyed that BGE for a few years now but the price has always held me back. If money was a little easier to come by, I would most likely get one. But til that time arrives, I will have to be content with my older model 22.5 inch one-touch Platinum Weber that I got off craigslist for $50. I agree with your girl, coal is well worth the added time and effort -- and there is something very primal about making a fire and sitting/standing around it with smoke in your eyes and salivating on the smell of cooking flesh.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Score!

lahlon55 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've owned a Big Green Egg for several years. They are a bit more expensive, but believe me they are worth it!! As someone else said, you can raise the heat to 700 degrees to sear meat, or go really low for hours of slow cooking and smoking. I've baked on mine (makes egg-cellant pizza) done a 15lb turkey for Thanksgiving seafood, desserts you name it. I think the ceramic shell makes all my meats much juicers and more flavorful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast