Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses. Good or bad? page

buster2209 is offline Junior Member

Question Sunglasses. Good or bad?

Given that Grok didn't have access to Oakleys or Ray-bans in his time, are sunglasses good for you?

I only ask as I'm over Irish Celtic heritage (fair skin, blue eyes, blonde hair, etc) and living in Pa, I see many months of intense sunshine.

Naturally, I wear sunglasses regularly.

I have already stopped using sun screen and just hide in the shade when I get too crispy, but am I doing myself a dis-service by wearing shades?

Wouldn't my eyes over time become accustomed to the bright sun?

Or is this one of this occasions where modern man prevails?

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    When I had laser correction eye surgery the eye doctor noticed that my pupils are very large. He asked if I had any light sensitivity. YES. Living in Colorado where it is always sunny - HURTS my eyes unless I have my sunglasses. When I am sick (like now) my eyes become even more sensitive. I honestly could not live or enjoy the outdoors if I didn't have sunglasses. In fact I lost my pair last week and bought two pairs last night (a good pair and a cheap pair as backup).

buster2209 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    When I had laser correction eye surgery the eye doctor noticed that my pupils are very large. He asked if I had any light sensitivity. YES. Living in Colorado where it is always sunny - HURTS my eyes unless I have my sunglasses. When I am sick (like now) my eyes become even more sensitive. I honestly could not live or enjoy the outdoors if I didn't have sunglasses. In fact I lost my pair last week and bought two pairs last night (a good pair and a cheap pair as backup).
    That's ironic! I lost my expensive pair of polarized Oakleys the other week and bought a cheap pair to compensate. Needless to say, I'll be shelling out for the expensive ones as the headaches are back......

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Next to oysters, green tea, oolong, and beautiful accomidating women, cheap sunglasses are some of my favorite things.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    my eye doctor says my blue eyes really need the protection from the sun. Would be interesting to read Mark's take on them though...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if our eyes do adjust to bright light. I only wear sunglasses while driving, and even then only rarely (maybe 2% of the time), and I've never spent more than $10 on a pair. I've just never been sensitive to bright light.

The question is, is it because I have a naturally high light tolerance that I refused to wear sunglasses as a kid, or is it because I refused to wear sunglasses that I can tolerate bright light? I've got no idea. And despite the lack of discomfort, am I still damaging my eyes slowly over time? Entirely possible. Not worth having those things sitting there on my face though. Ugh.
    Last edited by mayness; 08-06-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Sunglasses are good for you especially since like me, you have Irish/Scottish heritage so we need them. Those with lighter eye color need extra protection but I'll never pay over $10 again. I always lose the damn things in Lake Lanier.

This lifestyle is supposed to blend modern day tech and how our Grokian ancestors lived. Don't you think Grok would have loved to have a pair of shades for when he's hunting mid-day with no shade.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    In the thread that Serial Sinner (I think) posted about hair and eye color, the article mentioned that light eyes are more sensitive to light. I don't remember why. But it makes sense, as Northern Europeans aren't exposed to as much bright sunlight for as much of the year as people on other continents with little variation in hair/eye color.

I say yes to the sunglasses. I can't do without them.

HBarrett is offline Member
    I'm blonde, blue-eyed, in my 60s and had cataract surgeries in both eyes last year. I might have avoided the cataracts had I been more careful about wearing sunglasses. On the other hand, my vision is now better than it has been in years!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've never needed regular glasses or had corrective surgery but I need sunglasses too. I like the polarized ones, but I don't always opt for the expensive ones these days. I get bad headaches any time that I go outside during the day without them. Even if it's cloudy out I still wear them. I draw the line at wearing them at night though, I'm not that cool. Hey, and I wish everyone that experienced the 80's good luck in getting the song "I Wear My Sunglasses at Night" out of their heads cause it's going to be stuck there for a day or two. (Woops, my bad)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast