Thread: Peeling eggs page

Roberta is offline Senior Member

Peeling eggs

Primal Fuel
    I got this You-tube video off of Marks snack list that he sent in his email. I thought it looked really cool because I always have trouble peeling eggs.

So I gave it a try and it did not work for me. Did anyone else try this and if so does it work for you? Any tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

Clint is offline Senior Member
    When I hard boil eggs, I put them in the pot with water then bring the water to a boil. Once it is boiling, I turn off the heat and leave the pot covered for 5 minutes. After that, I place the eggs in ice water for 10 minutes. I've never had a problem peeling eggs this way.

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    One thing I learned from our "egg man" (like a milkman, he actually used to come to our house selling fresh eggs) is that fresh eggs are easily to peel. He said that after a a week or two they get harder to peel.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Yeah that technique is not fool proof, it fails a lot. Use older eggs for hard boiling, there easier to peel....running water works well.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've also heard that older eggs peel more easily than fresher ones. Steve, maybe your eggman was trying to get you to buy more eggs, haha. The explanation I've heard is that as they age, air gets in through the shell and increases the size of the air pocket. I usually rinse them in cold water after boiling and peel them without too much difficulty. If only I could peel soft/medium boiled eggs, heh.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Here's the deal with boiled eggs: the membrane under the shell is not permeable to liquid, but it is gas permeable. Logical -- the chick has to breath, but shouldn't get wet. So, if you get the temperature of your water up too high, it will cause the moisture in the egg to turn to steam and be driven out of the egg. That creates a vacuum, which causes the membrane to stick the shell to the egg better than glue. Same as the egg ages in the fridge -- moisture leaves the egg as gas and it dries out. So, the challenge is to get the temp up just high enough to cook the egg, but not enough to turn the moisture inside to steam.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all of your replies. I am going to have to experiment. I have been boiling them for 10 minutes, and then putting them into ice water. This last time I used the baking soda like the video suggested, but I was totally unable to blow the egg out of the shell, ha ha. I guess I should have taken a video, I felt pretty silly. I still had trouble peeling them.

It sounds like Clints method would satisfy Slackers explanation. I am going to try this, maybe I will experiment between fresher and older eggs since there seems to be some disagreement. Though I don't have a means to get farm fresh eggs. I wonder how you can tell how old store bought ones are.

jendoe is offline Senior Member
    Hi Roberta - please report back on your findings! I tried the "blow in the egg" thing too, and also felt really, really silly - especially when nothing happened! It looks so cool when Tim did it too, I was really hoping that the egg would just pop out like that!!!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I haven't tried the egg blowing. I looks like fun, but wouldn't use it when fixing food for other people. LOL.

Apparently, I cannot make hb eggs. I have tried several recipes, with new and old eggs. They never come out right.