Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cashew confusion page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

Cashew confusion

i use cashews in place of peanuts.. they have the same pasty, fatty texture and similar flavor. i just make a "butter" out of them with my immersion blender and add in seasonings to taste:
    ginger, garlic, liquid aminos, sriracha, little orange or pineapple, and sesame oil.. puree until smooth and eat it up!!
    Cashews and peanuts are both legumes, and hence I thought cashews were every bit as non primal as peanuts (per the PB book). I'm confused because I've seen several posts about people eating cashews instead of peanuts or cashew butter in place of peanut butter -- my husband is a diehard cashew lover, but I have pretty much quit buying both cashews and peanuts (there are so many other nuts we aren't really missing them).

Does anyone have any info on whether cashews are somehow better than peanuts? If so, I'd love to learn. Thanks!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I know cashews aren't a nut, but I thought they were actually a seed from within a fruit.

Ah, thank you wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_nuts If this is right, they're a seed from a drupe (a specific type of fruit)... and so are walnuts, almonds, and pistachios. Interesting.
    Last edited by mayness; 08-06-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I thought the problem w/ cashews was not that they were legumes but rather the overabundance of omega-6 fatty acids they contain...

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elwyne View Post
    I thought the problem w/ cashews was not that they were legumes but rather the overabundance of omega-6 fatty acids they contain...
    They're actually one of the lower ones for O6. Lower than almonds, walnuts, pecans. Nowhere near as low as macadamia nuts, though, you really can't beat those! Here's Mark's post on O6s in nuts: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-omega-6-fats/
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    the only nuts i now consume are macadamias and cashews. cashews are kind of a twice a month thing.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    One time a few months ago, back in my warrior diet days, I consumed a lot (and I mean a lot) of cashews in one sitting. I got very very very sick after that. Three days of nausea and other nasty digestion-related things. Needless to say, I can't even put a cashew in my mouth anymore. Some say to be careful with cashews because they have to be chemically treated to destroy a toxin which occurs in them naturally, but don't quote me.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    One time a few months ago, back in my warrior diet days, I consumed a lot (and I mean a lot) of cashews in one sitting. I got very very very sick after that. Three days of nausea and other nasty digestion-related things. Needless to say, I can't even put a cashew in my mouth anymore. Some say to be careful with cashews because they have to be chemically treated to destroy a toxin which occurs in them naturally, but don't quote me.
    about two months ago I decided to eat as many cashews as i wanted. Kind of a experiement, but really just for fun, as I find cashews insanely delicious. I ate about 50-60 nuts in about 5 minutes. My head felt fuzzy, and my vision was kind of....wonky.....if that means anything..........and I just didnt feel good. I had no GI issues and felt back to normal by that evening, but after that I decided to really limit the non-macadamia nuts. Once they were out of the house, I forgot about them and cravings for them went away. I still treat myself though, since the rest of my diet is pretty squeaky clean nowadays.

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are a staple part of my breakfast which I rotate every day. ( pistachios, almonds, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, walnuts and cashew nuts ).

Benja is offline Junior Member
    Grossness Warning:

I love cashews, but I've recently discovered that when I eat a large quantity of them they have a very bad effect on my bowel movements. Its like my body doesn't like them and wants to get them out quick. I think I may be slightly allergic to them or something of the sort.

Also, cashews and poison ivy are in the same family of plants (Anacardiaceae) and I used to get poison ivy really bad as a kid so maybe that's why.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cashews, macs, and pistachios can't be in my house in any kind of quantity. I will just sit their and eat pounds and pounds of them if available. I have yet to find something that gives me an upset stomach. Hell in my fatty days I drank a gallon of egg nog in 15 minutes once but that is another topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast