Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When Someone Brings Up God How Do You Respond? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

When Someone Brings Up God How Do You Respond?

Primal Fuel
    I wrote a guest post yesterday on Kitchen Stewardship. She is a full time Christian and many of her readers are too. I simply answered the question: What is a primal lifestyle?

You can check out the post by clicking here.

If you scroll down to the comments you will notice a few people questioning the evolution theory because God created Earth which has been here for 6,000 years. And grains are in Genesis. I responded to the comments as best as I could.

But, if you had to respond to the following comment how would you?!

"While I find the subject interesting, I disagree with it for a few reasons, one of them being that as a Christian, when Christ called himself “The bread of life” meaning that he should be central to life, what supports us, and equate that with bread/grain…well, what more can I say to that?!

I do acknowledge that for some people, their human body has gone haywire, and does not function well with grain or gluten. But that is not supposed to be the norm of how our body was created."

Thanks guys!!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Well, if we assume that Jesus actually exists, then she's just resorting to the argument from authority. What Jesus or God say has no relevance if it doesn't stack up against empirical fact. Authority figures don't deserve blind obedience, even if they're purported to have magical powers.

Religion doesn't come from a place of reason, though, so trying to argue against it using science and empiricism makes as much sense as trying to convince the bum downtown that he isn't hearing voices. You can't reason someone out of something they were never reasoned into in the first place.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 08-05-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Religion doesn't come from a place of reason, though, so trying to argue against it using science and empiricism makes as much sense as trying to convince the bum downtown that he isn't hearing voices. You can't reason someone out of something they were never reasoned into in the first place.
    +1 million.

But anyway, to answer your question..I don't respond. There is nothing you can say to change that opinion in my experience.
    Last edited by SheGlowsPale; 08-05-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    I would take it as a cue to bow out of the discussion as fast as possible. If I were a Christian, I might know what to say, but I'm not, and scientific arguments won't cut it.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post

But, if you had to respond to the following comment how would you?!

"While I find the subject interesting, I disagree with it for a few reasons, one of them being that as a Christian, when Christ called himself “The bread of life” meaning that he should be central to life, what supports us, and equate that with bread/grain…well, what more can I say to that?!

I do acknowledge that for some people, their human body has gone haywire, and does not function well with grain or gluten. But that is not supposed to be the norm of how our body was created."

Thanks guys!!
    The commenter is making a theological claim, so I would respond theologically. As a Christian who follows primal, I have thought about the philosophical justifications from my perspective--and the Bread of Life issue came to my mind. Basically, I hold that Jesus spoke into the culture of first century Palestine, using concepts they would understand. Bread was HUGE is Israel: during the Exodus from Egypt, God had fed the children of Israel with "bread" from heaven (manna, meaning "what is it," so, we don't know what it was). Bread continues to be a central component of Passover. So, when Jesus called himself the Bread of Life, he was referencing these ideas: he was NOT making a case for eating grain.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Instead of trying to change a person's religion (which you're not going to do in a few words or through a blog), just go with what you know. Stir them to modern times and what we can all agree on today. It's very hard to argue with. If a person must base the success of their diet on their religion, then you're done.

We KNOW TODAY people are not functioning well on grains... allergy, gluten intolerance, celiac. Grains offer little nutritional value. This is an absolute fact that can not be refuted. The purpose of grains in a CW diet is for FIBER, which we can very reasonably get from fruits and veggies. Which also supply wonderful amounts of nutrition. You can not refute that. No person on earth NEEDS sugar. That has never been a race of any era that required it for survival. Exercise is paramount in some form. And it does NOT have to be at the olympic level We say that day to day. Those that sit on their butts all day are OBVIOUS on general appearance.

So, for the record, I'm Catholic... We do not believe in the 6000 year thing... (so I can't help you with that.) We do believe that God created the earth and all that's on it. We don't care what you can prove scientifically, because regardless of what you prove we believe that it's directed by the hand of God. And that the scientists just figured it out. We accept scientific evidence.... and we accept the status that evolution has been given by the scientific community. A Theory.

We can look to Native American tribes that were not all grain and sugar inducted when we took over their land. We can see today, in remaining descendants (many 100%) their systems do NOT cope with grain and sugar... and as a Christian, I was say they are God creations as well. They develop diabetes and other debilitating disease they never saw before. I suspect in healthful tribal communities world wide (that still exist today; Meaning tribes that can acquire adequate supplies of food on their land we don't see celiac, auto immune, diabetes etc. (I don't have a good source for that.)

Ok... So Christ IS the Bread of Life... (which I suppose you could say means you don't need bread out of bag... )... Christ is also "the Lamb of God.". God has provided us with all that we need to survive. Meaning, man whipped up all the boxed items. God gave us the Fruits, veggies, animals... Not crackers, pasta, or ding dongs.

Ok... quick summary. 1)Not gonna changes a persons belief structure. 2)You don't need to 3)because you have today's stat figures with regard to the damage that grains and sugar do to the body.

Hope that helps....

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post

Thanks guys!!
    And let's say, just for the sake of argument... that it's NOT supposed to be the norm of how our body was created. That could be true. Regardless, that's not the case anymore. Man has really screwed things up. And now man's body does not work properly. And Man must do something about that... or fail to function as a man (human)... ie... die...

It's almost like original sin. Each generation screws something up... and the next pays for it!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I'm an atheist, and I would simply point and laugh. I just can't take believers seriously. There's no evidence, and they still believe. It's ridiculous.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

JamieRose is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post

So, for the record, I'm Catholic... We do not believe in the 6000 year thing... (so I can't help you with that.) We do believe that God created the earth and all that's on it. We don't care what you can prove scientifically, because regardless of what you prove we believe that it's directed by the hand of God. And that the scientists just figured it out. We accept scientific evidence.... and we accept the status that evolution has been given by the scientific community. A Theory.
    Thank you for saying this. I pretty much agree with all of what you said, but I just wanted to add that, too.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Smile and say, "Okay."

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast