Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: When Someone Brings Up God How Do You Respond? page 5

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    *shrug* I meant "point and laugh" figuratively. What I'd really do is start eviscerating their belief system. But the fact is, I can't regard belief in a "god" with anything other than pity and head-scratching as to why anyone would believe such silly nonsense.

Look, we're on this site to find out how to make our bodies work better. That's called SCIENCE, not RELIGION. Anyone using religious justifications for their dietary choices is either a) ignorant and in desperate need of education or b) too unintelligent to ever understand reality and thus a lost cause. I'm firmly on the side of science, because science actually provides real evidence for its claims. Religion does no such thing - quite the contrary. It demands belief without proof and calls it "faith."

Sorry, but I'm just not that credulous.
    I don't believe in 'God' per-se but I respect people who do. I dont think people who believe in a faith are ignorant or unintelligent. I know many intelligent brilliant people who believe in God. I believe there exists a cognitive dissonance between faith and science. I think its totally possible to believe in both science and religion in two different contexts.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    I don't believe in 'God' per-se but I respect people who do. I dont think people who believe in a faith are ignorant or unintelligent. I know many intelligent brilliant people who believe in God. I believe there exists a cognitive dissonance between faith and science. I think its totally possible to believe in both science and religion in two different contexts.
    I don't. If you believe science and the scientific method of "disprove your hypothesis if you can," then religion is by definition false. I don't respect people who believe things without proof. I can't. If you can, more power to you - but in my opinion, respecting beliefs that have no proof behind them (i.e. RELIGION - and for that matter, most of CW) is just enabling the believers to keep on messing up the world with the consequences of those beliefs.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

goeyj is offline Member
    I haven't read through ALL the post on this thread so I don't know if this has been covered yet. I am a Christian who is following the primal eating style about 95%. For me, I feel as though God designed our bodies to work this way. It doesn't contradict anything in the Bible except the theory of evolution being used to back it up. It can just as easily be backed up by a Christian as how we were designed. Whether we were designed or evolved, it doesn't change the fact that the science behind the primal lifestyle is solid and is not just a "theory". It's obvious our bodies work best under this set of circumstances so, regardless of beliefs, there is no excuse to reject the solid science in relation to how our bodies operate.

Clint is offline Senior Member
    Griff,

First, I find your original post hilarious and ironic considering you voluntarily put yourself into a state that a lot of society would “point and laugh” at, figuratively and literally. In fact, that was one of the reasons you said you didn’t want to go out and exercise, was concern over public ridicule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I just have to get over being embarrassed about looking like a beached whale.
    Yet, you feel the need to ridicule others. Nice.

Second, atheism, like religion, is a belief, not a fact. Neither side has observable, empirical or experimental data to support their stance. It’s that simple. No living person knows what happens after death.

As for some of your points: Science can’t prove a Unified Field Theory, it doesn’t mean there isn’t one. And whether it’s religion, politics, philosophy or some other train of though, people will always do bad things to other people.

I’m not a believer in a higher power, but that doesn’t give me some sense of superiority over people who are. Would you like it if every “fit” person stopped to read you the riot act on how your lifestyle gave way to your current predicament?

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    When someone mentions god - this is how I respond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR5cuGJ5vG8#t=0m26s

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I really don't like discuss the topic of religion with most people, but if I want to discuss why our primal lifestyle is relevant, for me it boils down as simple as this. You ask someone, "Do you believe that we were created by a god or are you willing to consider that humans were part of an evolutionary process independently of whether or not there is a god?" If someone selects the former then no intelligent conversation on the topic is possible.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    The people believing in God are the same as those back in the day believing in many God's or spirits etc etc. They do it because they are raised too, it makes them feel good and secure, and it provides justification for when bad things happen. And it helps that most people held that belief as well so it provides social support.

But the fact is, religions are on even par with Santa Clause when it comes to being real. But at least Santa is a feel good story that everyone over the age of 7 actually agrees is a myth. At least most sane people.

buster2209 is offline Junior Member
    "There is no higher God than truth" - Mahatma Gandhi

Faith is a wacky thing, it breeds cognitive dissidence. Heck, it was used as a tool of oppression during the dark ages.

I do believe in God though, but I think organised religion is a scourge.

When people want to listen, there ears will be open. Until then, smile and walk away.

Jefferson is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    We accept scientific evidence.... and we accept the status that evolution has been given by the scientific community. A Theory.
    I can't tell for sure what you mean by this statement, twinmama. However, there's a possibility that you might mean, "It's just a theory, not fact." Just in case that was your meaning, I want to point out that a scientific theory is not the same as a scientific hypothesis.

This explains it better than I can: http://www.fsteiger.com/theory.html

If that wasn't your meaning, please accept my apologies. Hopefully it will clear up the distinction for someone else who is thinking that evolution is "just a theory".

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    For the most part, I don't care about other people's beliefs. When they use things like the Bible (a 3,300 year old book) to pass laws today... I tend to get pissed. Regarding diet - meh.

Usually you just have to let it go. The religious side will always be satisfied with "it's in the Bible" (or whatever text their religion uses) while the atheists (or at least non-believer) often looks to science, logic, and philosophy for answers. Those two usually don't make for friendly conversation.

It reminds me of the "True Believer" post Tom Naughton put up awhile back regarding militant Vegans (http://www.tomnaughton.com/?p=558). It's not so much the object (in this case, religion/ in Tom's argument, Veganism) it's the person who seeks those types of belief systems for some sense of balance in their lives. Let's face it, most people don't like living with doubt. I'm not talking about the mellow Sunday church goer who believes in God, I'm talking about the people who dismiss Evolution simply because the bible states that the earth is 6,000 years old. That's a whole different level of belief.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast