Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: When Someone Brings Up God How Do You Respond? page 4

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    When God created Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden he didn't give them a mortar & pestle and an oven, so maybe the eating of grain is an invention of Man and Jesus was relating to the masses to get his message across.
    I think this is very well put.

I think you need to be really careful with statements like this. Ideas like this are what leads to very heated arguments and in the extreme; holy wars.
    Could you be more specific? Do you mean the first sentence? Most of the posters on this thread have made a blanket statement that all religions are based on faith alone, not reason, that is, blind faith. I said that many people of many different religions will agree with that statement regarding their own religions, but my religion does not and has never claimed to be based on faith alone (shunning all attempts to understand God and/or the world by reason).

That is a true statement and I don't really see it as inflammatory, consider how many billions of people will agree that that is an accurate assessment of their own religions. I hope for peaceful, respectful dialogue, never battles, so I look forward to your response to be able to modify my position and/or mode of expressing it, if necessary.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Clint is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I hope for peaceful, respectful dialogue, never battles, so I look forward to your response to be able to modify my position and/or mode of expressing it, if necessary.
    Me too!

I'll PM you so I don't hijack this thread.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, to be a little more specific about what is confusing me - many people here have said that ALL religion is non-reason-based, that is, irrational. I said that only SOME religions are non-reason-based. I did not make a claim that only mine believes that God is rational and reasonable & can be approached by human reason.

Am I understanding your point of contention correctly?

ETA: cross-posted; I'll wait for your PM!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    We may all take a lesson from my great grandmothers generation with this sort of discussion. To wit:

"Religion and politics are not discussed in polite society".

Your thread was about food, diet, lifestyle. Nothing further need be added.

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasbuddy View Post
    We may all take a lesson from my great grandmothers generation with this sort of discussion. To wit:

"Religion and politics are not discussed in polite society".

Your thread was about food, diet, lifestyle. Nothing further need be added.

What he said.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I'm an atheist, and I would simply point and laugh. I just can't take believers seriously. There's no evidence, and they still believe. It's ridiculous.
    That's your right. And mine is to back away, slowly, from someone who is acting so strangely.

I just can't take people like that seriously - those that need to point and laugh at people. Are we on a second grade playground?

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    I'm a Christian. I believe the Bible is true. I do not believe it is a scientific paper. Jesus (and Moses, and Paul et al) were addressing the cultures of their time. Bread was the big, basic food, so it makes sense that it's in the language he used. The Bread of Life is an analogy, not a literal truth. Jesus doesn't give us an exercise program, so does that mean we shouldn't exercise? He was here to save our souls, not our diets.

And there are plenty of Christians who believe in both evolution and the first chapter of Genesis. If someone is coming from the 6,000 year view I would tell them that I don't think God would have put any food on this earth that would hurt us eating it right from the source. However, grain is not edible until it's been worked and reworked by men. If nothing else, how could you go wrong eating the plants and animals God provided?

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Back to OP:

I am a Christian who believes in creation, and here's how I break it down: God created our bodies to function optimally on different fuels; excessive grains just don't work well for our body. As previous posters have mentioned, bread of life is a cultural reference to what the current culture valued (and perhaps a good once since generations since have similarly valued a bread centric diet! lol).

When approaching someone who has questions about PB and God, I would ask them intelligent questions back instead of "arguing" or "preaching" against them. Some things to consider are questions like "Do you think Jesus calling himself the bread of life was literal or figurative? What evidence in scripture points you to that direction? If we take that literally, what does it really mean (Because honestly, I can only interpret that metaphorically) If it is a metaphor then, aren't metaphors culturally based to convey a larger truth to the intended culture? Do you believe that everything God created for on this earth is good for our bodies? After that question, I would follow the line of if drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc can wreak havoc on your body in excess, couldn't other items do the same?

This way, you're coming across as trying to understand where they are coming from while also showing them that their interpretation of scriptures might not be only/best one!

I hope that helps in the future!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    "When god tells you to eat bread- YOU FIND A NEW GOD!!"

"It's a metaphor dumbass."

"My invisible monster can kick your invisible monster's ass."

"Kill yourself, and then I'll take you seriously."

"You don't understand Capitalism"

"Youire making the baby ronald reagan cry."

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

and so forth.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    That's your right. And mine is to back away, slowly, from someone who is acting so strangely.

I just can't take people like that seriously - those that need to point and laugh at people. Are we on a second grade playground?
    *shrug* I meant "point and laugh" figuratively. What I'd really do is start eviscerating their belief system. But the fact is, I can't regard belief in a "god" with anything other than pity and head-scratching as to why anyone would believe such silly nonsense.

Look, we're on this site to find out how to make our bodies work better. That's called SCIENCE, not RELIGION. Anyone using religious justifications for their dietary choices is either a) ignorant and in desperate need of education or b) too unintelligent to ever understand reality and thus a lost cause. I'm firmly on the side of science, because science actually provides real evidence for its claims. Religion does no such thing - quite the contrary. It demands belief without proof and calls it "faith."

Sorry, but I'm just not that credulous.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast