Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 118

Thread: When Someone Brings Up God How Do You Respond? page 3

  1. #21
    Hedonist's Avatar
    Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    2,930
    Shop Now
    Since I'm pagan, there really is nothing useful that I could say. If someone said that to me in a face-to-face conversation, I would change the subject.

  2. #22
    localad's Avatar
    localad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    370
    Remember it was eating an apple that caused all our troubles in the first place. That damn fructose again!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

  3. #23
    XYZ's Avatar
    XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    266
    I think your responses were fine on there. This last comment I read though threw me for a loop.

    "Yes, we as a nation probably eat too many grains and grain fed meats, but I would not think it wise to adopt a diet based on flawed reasoning at its very core.

    God created this earth. He created grains. As previously mentioned, Jesus said, I am the BREAD of life. That tells me right there that bread is not the root evil.
    "

    I like how science is considered "flawed reasoning". Where is the facepalm icon on here????

  4. #24
    texas.grok's Avatar
    texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Egypt with brief trips to Texas
    Posts
    1,047
    God created this earth. He created grains. As previously mentioned, Jesus said, I am the BREAD of life. That tells me right there that bread is not the root evil. "
    Also remind anyone that uses the bread of life line that grain products back then were not over-processed, chemically treated vague semblances of their base products. While I'm fully on-board with the whole no grain products BP lifestyle, the grain based products back as soon as 100 years ago where no doubt healthier for people than the process crap that they package and put on the shelves.

    I was raised Baptist, my wife is pretty hardcore Christian, I'm an unwashed heathen and have learned that religious arguments with hardcore believers usually don't end up well. Oddly enough I have had some extremely civil and honest discussion with my Muslim friends here in Egypt and they have been more accepting of me than a lot of Christians that I know.

    Sorry, getting off topic now. I'll shut up.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

  5. #25
    kennelmom's Avatar
    kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upstate of SC
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Fire View Post
    The bible was written in parable form to make it easier to understand..."the bread of life" was not meant to be taken literally in the original Hebrew language.

    That said, I think that PrimalChild is right..."just smile and say ok."
    I'm no longer a Christian, but when I was this is pretty much what I believed (actually, even now as a Buddhist, I still believe this about the Bible and most religious texts). If someone wants to interpret the Bible literally, there's really not much of an argument to be made. If they think God told them to eat bread and doing what God says is the key to eternal salvation, then I'm not sure there's any proof or reason that will change their mind. In that case, save yourself the energy and go with PrimalChild's response.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

  6. #26
    jrherring's Avatar
    jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,335
    When someone points at you and laughs because you're gonna die from eating so many meats and fats & you go against the great religion CW, what do you say to them? Most of us smile and change the subject.

    Pointing & laughing just creates confrontation.

    Just smile and nod.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

    Yr 42

    Yr 41

    February Whole 30-ish

    start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

  7. #27
    supersellen's Avatar
    supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    892
    I agree with Kennelmom, that there is no convincing someone that wants to translate the bible literally. Regarding this subject, a great read is Misquoting Jesus, by Bart D. Ehrman, if anyone ever wants to beef up their defense against the Bible being the end all be all life instruction book. It is also a great read for Chirstians as well.

  8. #28
    Clint's Avatar
    Clint is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    164
    As mentioned before, the best you can do is try to relate it to them on their terms as best you can. That's true when dealing with people in ANY context. The thing you really have to decide is how much work you want to put into it vs. the return on your investment, so to speak. No matter what, pointing and laughing is NEVER the way to relate to people. I'm not a believer myself so, I don't know how much weight my advice holds, but it is a fact that grains have to be cooked/processed to be digested. When God created Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden he didn't give them a mortar & pestle and an oven, so maybe the eating of grain is an invention of Man and Jesus was relating to the masses to get his message across. Which is pretty much what you'll have to do.

    Either way, good luck!

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    This is true for many religions, and for many Christians, but it is not true for Catholics. As John Paul II said, "faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the truth." Neither can contradict the other, b/c they are both means to the same, one, truth. You can arrive at the conclusions that the earth is round and the moon revolves around the earth and men can walk on it either by proving & experiencing it yourself, or you can know it b/c someone trustworthy told you so. The first is reason; the second is faith. Most of us believe those things by faith, yet that does not mean we believe them irrationally. Our faith must be grounded and must not contradict reason, else one of the two is false.
    I think you need to be really careful with statements like this. Ideas like this are what leads to very heated arguments and in the extreme; holy wars.

  9. #29
    kennelmom's Avatar
    kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upstate of SC
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    I agree with Kennelmom, that there is no convincing someone that wants to translate the bible literally. Regarding this subject, a great read is Misquoting Jesus, by Bart D. Ehrman, if anyone ever wants to beef up their defense against the Bible being the end all be all life instruction book. It is also a great read for Chirstians as well.
    I'll have to look that book up...I think most people would benefit from a secular look at various faiths and religious texts, especially one's own. It's amazing how much of 'The Good Book' came down to earthly politics....what was included, excluded, which words were used and how they were interpreted as it was written and re-written.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

  10. #30
    Russ's Avatar
    Russ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    349
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    I think your responses were fine on there. This last comment I read though threw me for a loop.

    "Yes, we as a nation probably eat too many grains and grain fed meats, but I would not think it wise to adopt a diet based on flawed reasoning at its very core.

    God created this earth. He created grains. As previously mentioned, Jesus said, I am the BREAD of life. That tells me right there that bread is not the root evil.
    "

    I like how science is considered "flawed reasoning". Where is the facepalm icon on here????
    This is just proof that the judaeo-christian god is trying to slowly poison us, to keep us weak so we cannot rise up and slay our maker!!! KILL GOD FOR FEEDING US BAD NUTRITION

    naw, seriously though, there is no god


    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    As John Paul II said, "faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the truth." Neither can contradict the other, b/c they are both means to the same, one, truth. You can arrive at the conclusions that the earth is round and the moon revolves around the earth and men can walk on it either by proving & experiencing it yourself, or you can know it b/c someone trustworthy told you so. The first is reason; the second is faith. Most of us believe those things by faith, yet that does not mean we believe them irrationally. Our faith must be grounded and must not contradict reason, else one of the two is false.
    I think you might have the wrong idea of what faith is, believing something because someone said it is still proof, its anecdotal proof, but its still some evidence, and we use reason and rationality to determine the likely truth value of the claim (easier to believe something that we know happens, then if someone makes a wild claim about a monster, or a talking chair) faith however is believing in something for which there is no proof. In fact, faith is generally at odds with reason because you'd only really have to have faith in something if it was not reasonable.

    Its like
    (is there proof?)
    if yes( yay! proof!)
    if not (do i still want to believe it?)
    If yes -> faith!

    Main Entry: 1faith
    Pronunciation: \ˈfāth\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural faiths \ˈfāths, sometimes ˈfāthz\
    Etymology: Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust — more at bide
    Date: 13th century
    1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>
    Last edited by Russ; 08-06-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •