Sweet potato hash• 1 medium sweet potato or yam, diced into small cubes
• 1/2 cup chopped onions
• 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (optional)
• 2 tsp olive oil
• fresh ground pepper
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the sweet potatoes and bell peppers, and 1 Tbsp of water.
4. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
5. So to not burn, turn and toss frequently.
6. Serve, sprinkling with fresh ground pepper.
• 1 head cauliflower (or however much you want)
• 2T olive oil
Optional Spices and Seasoning:
• 1/2 t. ground curry
• 1 green onion, finely chopped
• dash each of cayenne pepper, sea salt, ground black pepper
• 1 T. olive oil
1. Microwave cauliflower on high in a covered dish to soften it, checking it once a minute until it has softened. DO NOT ADD WATER, as it will become gummy. There is plenty of moisture in the cauliflower.
2. Process the cauliflower in a food processor until it is the size of rice or couscous, either using a plain steel blade or a shredder blade. Alternatively, you can shred it with a hand-held grater, or even a knife. The key is to make it fine.
3. Saute the cauliflower in a pan with oil and any additional seasonings you desire--garlic, ginger, tamari wheat-free sauce, curry, or just pepper.
Grilled Chicken with Walnut Pesto Sauce
5. 3-4 Chicken Breasts
6. Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning to taste (or just some cracked black pepper)
7. Pesto Sauce
8. 4 oz fresh basil (3 ½ cups)
9. 1 cup walnut halves and pieces
10. 6 garlic cloves
11. 1 cup olive oil
12. 1 tsp sea salt
13. Juice from ½ a lemon
14. Heat your grill over medium high heat for approximately 10 min. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with either the Trader Joe’s seasoning or with just some black pepper. Turn grill down to low and place the chicken on the grill. Close the lid and grill for 7-10 minutes. Flip the chicken, close the lid, and grill for another 7-10 minutes. Remove the chicken and cover with tinfoil and set aside. Now it’s time for the pesto. In a food processor add the walnuts, garlic, sea salt, and olive oil. Process until smooth. Add the basil and lemon juice and process again until smooth. Slice the chicken and spoon the pesto sauce on top to serve.
Warm Arugula Salad
15. 6 strips nitrate free bacon diced
16. 2 shallots finely chopped
17. 7 oz arugula
18. 1/4 cup olive oil
19. Handful of chopped walnuts
20. Ground black pepper to taste
21. Place the arugula in a large salad bowl and set aside. In a medium sized skillet brown the diced bacon. Add the shallots and saute with the bacon until the shallots are translucent. Add the olive oil to the pan and heat just until warm. Pour the olive oil, bacon, shallot mixture over the arugula and mix well. The heat from the bacon mixture will slightly wilt the arugula – this is what you want! Add some fresh ground black pepper and serve immediately topped with a sprinkle of walnuts.
Dry Rub Burgers
22. 1 ½ tbsp chili powder
23. 2 ½ tsp paprika
24. 1 tsp cumin
25. ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
26. ¼ tsp ground white pepper
27. 2 1/2 lbs grass fed ground beef (makes about 7-9 medium sized burgers)
28. sea salt to taste
29. Mix all dry rub ingredients together. Form hamburger meat into patties and cover both sides generously with the dry rub. Let the burgers sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes before cooking. Either grill or pan fry about 4 minutes each side for medium, less for rare, more for well… (sprinkle on sea salt once the burgers are in the pan or on the grill).
Sweet Potato Rounds
30. 2-3 yams
31. 3-4 egg whites
32. 21 seasoning blend from Trader Joe’s or Oregon, Thyme, and Garlic Powder
33. ground black pepper
34. sea salt
35. olive oil
36. Slice sweet potatoes into round discs. Separate eggs and add as much 21 seasoning spice blend and black pepper as you like. Dip each sweet potato round into the egg mixture and lay flat on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Drizzle the rounds with olive oil and sprinkle on more seasoning – this is key – and then sprinkle on a little sea salt. Bake at 350 for 30 -40 minutes. The egg whites make these a little crispy, and I actually finished them under the broiler for about a minute which made them even crispier, but still soft and yummy in the middle.
37. 2 lbs grass fed ground beef
38. 1lb mild Italian sausage (I used Sicilian chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s)
39. 1 red onion diced
40. 4 cloves crushed garlic
41. 2 tbsp dried oregano
42. 2 tbsp dried basil
43. 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
44. 1/2 tsp sea salt
45. 2 tbsp olive oil
46. 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes drained
47. 1 small can of tomato paste
48. 1cup organic black olives sliced
49. 6 zucchinis thinly sliced(I used my slicer blade in the food processor for thin, even zucchini rounds – for more “lasagna” like noodles slice lengthwise with a mandolin slicer).
50. In a large soup pot saute onions and garlic in the olive oil for about 3 minutes. Add ground beef and sausage and brown. Season meat mixture with all dry ingredients and add drained diced tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well. In a big lasagna baking dish place a layer of sliced zucchini and then ladle on a thick layer of the meat mixture and top with the sliced black olives. Top meat and olive layer with another layer of sliced zucchini and top with a final layer of the remaining meat mixture. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and back at 350 for 30 min. Let sit for 10 min before serving.